OT: not even car related, but I thought it was funny..

Basically an artist submitted his work to an exhibition, but forgot the plinth and wooden support, so submitted it as a seperate item. The judges decided that they thought the second "piece of work" was better so just the plinth and wooden support were exhibited!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Which really just goes to prove (if indeed proof were required!) that the pretentious bunch of art luvvy twits really don't know shit from shinola.

Reply to
Steve

Miserable git ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Accurate miserable git ;-)

Reply to
rads

Not really, art is about appreciating a thing just for what it is, I personally find the differentials in my pinz to be things of beauty and have a picture of one that I'm not averse to gazing at, because I just like what it is, what it does, the way it works and the way it looks (they're not like normal diffs at all). I don't think this make me a pretentious git.

I actually agreed with the judges in this case, the wooden mount and plinth looked better than the actual piece itself, especially with the contrast in materials, the same way a piece of steel and a piece of brass will often look good together. I think it's more to do with the uninspiring original piece though ;-) I wouldn't want either of them in my home, but if I had to have, I'd go for just the plinth and mount!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:03:16 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

The differential I was most impressed by is in the transfer box of the 4x4 sierra: it's a basic epicyclic gear set, being used as a diff and automatically doing 66:33 torque split. Having seen it done, I can see how it works... but some clever bastard thought of it in the first place.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Appreciate me just for what I am... :-)

I'm with you on the plinth and mount, though.

Is it true that the fire bucket in the Tate once won an award I wonder?

Reply to
Mother

And surely that is the point here. "What it is ", in this case, is a structure to support the actual "art". If you want to display a beautifully designed and engineered support structure put a human spine on display, but again, I would struggle with defining it as "art".

Admire the engineering of your diff by all means, but please don't hang it on the wall of a gallery. I can guarantee that the provision of artistic enjoyment was low on the priority of the design engineer.

David Gearbox Design Engineer

Reply to
rads

Here's an article that shows some of the pinz diff workings, it took a while before I could figure out how it works, only really having had any dealings with the conventional land-rover style diff.

I ought to whip mine apart, get a decent shot and frame it on the wall ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Wot, a sandal-wearing geek with a grease fetish?

I don't think you're alone in here though, personally I avoid the sandals as it means I have to cut my toenails!

Must be, it was printed in the Daily Mail..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Perhaps I'll curl one down on a paper plate and stick a little flag in it. I wonder if the "judges" will find the unique little twirly point I created on the top as I crimped off good enough to earn me the turner prize? ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think you're getting confused with the Turder prize..

Don't forget though that one "artist" canned his own shit and sold it, fetched high prices too, can't remember who it was. How's that for easy money.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:22:25 +0100, Ian Rawlings scribbled the following nonsense:

okay, try this

Simon Isaacs

I have to confess that I'm struggling to see the relevance of that to anything in particular..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think you must have been my first wife, reincarnated, obviously.

Reply to
Mother

What, munging your email addresses? ISTR you moaning at people in the past for not being man enough to deal with spam ;-)

Just bear in mind that grease and rubber don't always work well together..

Yer new website looks interesting, any more details yet?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed - Enter Alex (not literally, though...)

Doing the CMS at present, something should be launched over the next few days...

Reply to
Mother

Should always use a water based lubricant with rubber.........

Alex

Reply to
Alex

KY jelly?

or Vetlube if you want bulk.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

What about brake grease? Designed to protect rubber even in the presence of brake fluid!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings