OT, off topic, aol broadband.

A friend of mine has her broadband supplied by AOL, they fecked up the direct debits and took more money than they should, now they say she owes them £80 and won't release her broadband line until she pays up. She needs AOL to release the line/connection so she can sign-up elsewhere.

Question, can they withold her connection like this?

Any suggestions for an immediate way forward, proving to them that thsy have had more money than they should and she does infact not owe them £80 is going to take time and she needs internet access for her work.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

There are various free ISPs that you can use via modem, look up

and see if they can help her, otherwise other freeISPs exist out there. They get their money by you calling an 0845number (local rate so not too bad).

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Go to see a Solicitor and get the 'fixed fee one letter' deal. This should cost about thirty quid and will probably have the desired effect within a day or two of (recorded) delivery.

Reply to
Mother

They did the same to me. I just changed provider, rang then tell them had got it wrong and lost a customer as a result. A risky stragtegy, but I then just ignored their letters and they went away.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Send them copies of bank statements proving payment and threaten them in return with legal action for something along the lines of "attempting to extort money with menaces". That'll wipe the smiles off of their smug faces. AFAIUI, all you need do is disconnect the cable, wipe their software off the machine (Be prepared for a total hard-drive wipe and reinstallation, though, as AOL writes to just about all of the software in the machine and is notoriously difficult to clear!) and sign up with, say, BT who will send you one of their modems and software. I cannot see how they (AOL) can block this, as they have no physical hold over her line - unless she uses them as her telephone line service provider?? (Do AOL do this?)

Freeserve tried it on with me when I went broadband (BT and happy with it!), sending me bills for dates after I had stopped utilising their "service", so I told them I would be taking them to the small claims court to seek recompense for the 6 hours or so of labour at £45* per hour that it had taken me to try and resolve the issue with them, that I was not prepared to waste any more of my time attempting to get them to understand hard written facts etc etc. It worked!

  • - £45 was what I claimed I could have made per wasted hour as a consultancy fee for V8 engine technical advice!!! Don't give in and allow yourself to be bullied. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

They can (and are) refusing to issue a MAC migration code. This is how the line provider (BT) assigns the broadband to s service provider (ISP). The only alternative is to cancel, then wait, then reprovision a new broadband service.

Reply to
Mother

Ah, so that's how it's done. I take it it's a similar type of thing to "porting" a mobile phone number from one provider to another then? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , MVP writes

Suggest she talks to her bank and DEMAND they, the bank immediately refund her Direct Debit under the DD Guarantee. Don't be fobbed off with excuses.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:44:17 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I wonder If you can ask BT to take the line out altogether, then have a new one put in, possibly with another telco?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Then drop the copper and switch to cable (TeleWest, NTL, etc) or wireless (Netvigator.co.uk)for the broadband.

Andy

Reply to
ntlworld