OT: - PDA's / Pocket PC's and Navigation

Assume I haven't a clue what to get but have a need for some Navigation stuff

I've done some WIndow shopping and a Pocket PC with Tom Tom seems to fit the bill....

I've also seen Bundles for sale .... is there a minimum spec Pocket PC I should be looking for?

Also can I put Tom Tom on to a laptop and use a GPS mouse to break the costs down into smaller chunks

How do I play the voice then (Assume 101 noise levels) install a set of external speakers?

And Can I get Maps of France for Tom Tom as well as England and load both to a Pocket PC ,, or if not is it possible to save routes once planned?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Yes, it's a good bit of software. Don't bother with Destinator - I tried it and found it lousy. But I've heard Navman is good.

I'm using a 3870 and wouldn't recommend anything slower!

No, it's a PocketPC-only package. There aren't that many packages which will run on a laptop, in fact I'm not aware of any decent ones but there must be something! You will, however, find that trying to navigate off a laptop is a pain in the proverbial. I'd stick to a PocketPC device.

I used TomTom on an Ipaq in the 200tdi Disco with no probs. How about some noise-cancelling headphones?

You can get European maps for TomTom and AFAIK you can load multiple maps if you have enough memory card. You can't save routes, you just run them again when you need them. Occasionally you get a different route the second time, due to approximation errors.

HTH David

Reply to
David French

Can't offer any specific advice on hardware and software, but make sure you check out

Service and delivery are excellent and the prices are pretty competitive too. I have used them for a couple of GPS's and some software.

James

Reply to
James

I have an iPaq 5450 and use a cassette adaptor from an old DiscMan (but still avail' on eBay - of course) and so play thru the stereo speakers with the jack plug from the iPaq into a dummy cassette plugged into the tape slot of the stereo

... but ...

she really gets on my wick, so I don't really bother with sound now ;->

I did experiment with the spare memory in the iPaq, using it as an MP3 player for some tunes, which was fun

BTW - Make sure you get a decent mount to stop the PDA crashing into the floor

Mac

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:

wrote

Reply to
Mac

Sony's Streetmate system was exellent - I dont know if they still make it - this was the only laptop sat nav product with voice at the time. If you are looking to use it in only one vehicle then a built in system is much more accurate than the pocket PC stuff., it will update by using the vehicles speed and a giroscope for direction when the GPS signal gets "scatty" and beleive me it does! mainly in large cities (obviously London is worse) as the buildings cast "shadows" blocking the sat's -any less than three and you are lost ! If the Vehicle has an electronic speed pulse output it is easy to install a hard wired system .VDO systems are fantastic, I've installed a VDO MS3100 and aMS5000 without any problems, my Renault Laguna has a built in VDO system which is also exellent. You can pick up the VDO systems on Ebay for around £300 - £400 ( one went last week) for the MS3000 or MS3100 (monochrome) also badged sometimes as the Phillips CARIN. If you decide to go for hard wired let me know if you need any install help.

Cheers.

Reply to
StaffBull

I use an ipaq 3950 with Tomtom1 and emtac bluetooth, superb system, Also use a powered cradle with built in speaker. I use it for work, with 7-8 obscure locations per week, and apart from new roads never lets me down.

If you're interested I have a little used Ipaq 3830 with tomtom 1 for uk and Europe, available.

wrote

Reply to
apk1

Reply to
StaffBull

Shameless self promotions, but:

Last I saw Halfords were still selling this bundle and it occasionally appears at Aldis. Not TomTom, but the maps are a bit newer and the voice navigation is wonderful.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

If you're still considering something to run on a laptop have a look at Infomap Navigator,

I only just got it but it seems to work fine, gives voice instructions (audible in a Defender on the motorway, don't know about a 101, but if you have a radio cassette in the vehicle you can run it through that with one of those cassette adapter thingies).

Pieter

Reply to
pieter

The only problem I've had in cities is the warmup time - it can find it hard to get a sat lock if it's been left overnight (Emtac bluetooth GPS).

It updates continuously (ie at least every second) if that's what you mean. The maps seem to be updated on major software releases.

Accuracy is as good as the GPS signal will give, plus the Emtac is WAAS enabled too. So about ten feet or so if it has a good lock. The maps aren't accurate to within ten feet, but never had a problem with the map accuracy in real terms.

David

Reply to
David French

Lee

Check out

A very informative and freindly site with loads of reviews and forums etc. They also have a free Government Cash Machine (speed camera) database.

Amongst their links are sites where you can download different voices if you get fed up with the default one.

Just got me a Dell Axim X5 through the back door at work and am waiting for the GPS and TT2 to turn up.

Sean

73FL74 101gs 1984 110 2.5d Medway Military Vehicle Group
Sean Ryan

Ouch! Did you sit on it?

Reply to
David French

Sean

I have a Dell Axim X5 and have been looking for the TomTom2 GPS (full kit) for it, but I haven't found anywhere that has the full kit in stock and most say they are having trouble getting them. Have you found somewhere that actually has the TomTom kit in stock for the X5?

Thanks

Liam

Reply to
Liam

Remember that if you go for the Bluetooth GPS, you can not only use it with a laptop if you feel like it, but it will still be going strong long after your ipaq or axim is obsolete or broken, unlike the jackets.

David

Reply to
David French

Ha! :-) Ordered it off the back of a client's order for a PC. Lucky to get as it's no longer advertised while they catch up with a 3 month backlog.