OT: Peaked cap brigade clamp down on T-shirts

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wibbled :

Think you've just defined 'causing offence'.

Reply to
GbH

So would I. I'm not without a sense of humour, and I don't take offence at much these days. Certainly not the word "piss".

I think I can still (50 years on) hear my parents' voices on why you shouldn't swear in public: it's not that the words are bad in themselves, it's that other people may not wish to hear them. You refrain from swearing in public, not because you are a prude, but out of respect for other people who may not share your ideas of what is and is not acceptable. Same with loud music and open windows in a car, same with shorts in churches abroad, same with putting your feet on seats on public transport. None of them are offences in themselves, but all of them suggest a lack of respect for the idea that other people's feelings are important.

I wouldn't want to fine someone for something which did no-one any harm, but I regret the way that we all care a bit less than we used to about other people. When I'm with friends who I know won't mind, I can swear like a trooper, or even like a Nige. If I'm not sure about those within earshot, I tend to moderate it. Always have, always will, and so do my kids.

Yeah, I'm an old git.

-- Rich B

Reply to
Rich B

What's that? We all go out and get caught speeding, so we can unite in refusing to pay a FPN?

GREAT idea!

Yeah, I know what you meant.

-- Rich B

Reply to
Rich B

In news: snipped-for-privacy@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, Rich B wibbled :

Well said that old git!

Reply to
GbH

On or around Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:20:29 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

no, I defined "attempting to cause offence". If no-one TAKES offence, I fail to cause any. Hence what I said, you can't cause offence, without someone taking it - if no-one take offence at what you think it likely to be offensive, then there's nowt you can do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Aaah, i should be ok then. Im pretty much just swapping the timing cover+the bits attached to that over from the 3.5 to the 3.9. I should be ok using all the bolts that came in the 3.9 block to hold it on.

:-)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

A bit like "no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission."

-- Rich B

Reply to
Rich B

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wibbled :

I agree, just that around here we have armies of Orangemen who often state 'we/I do not cause offence' I can assure you they do! Maybe I'm denying them the right I frequently exercise, that to be pedantic!

Reply to
GbH

And I may admit to having been the owner of a mullet at some point in my life (about which I'd rather forget).

It's all more PC than my "I remember the Rainbow Warrior"* t-shirt I wear every time I visit France. The frogs (at least to date) are sufficiently non-PC to show embarassment rather than arrest or deport me.

Reply to
EMB

Fashion's wheel turns & it all comes round again..... I notice shoulder pads are back again in places.

They probably just write you off as "just another Rosbif";-)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson