OT: Risk compensation - interesting research

Further to earlier comments, some research from Bath University which suggests that cycle helmet wearers are more likely to be hit.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

|| Further to earlier comments, some research from Bath University which || suggests that cycle helmet wearers are more likely to be hit. || ||

Adult cyclists wearing helmets are more likely to be hit because they look such utter prats. If I see one, I just can't resist. And I'm not talking about when I'm driving, either.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

See what I mean? :)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Didn't see the phrase weaving about like a tw*t without regard to other road users. You would have thought having been hit once he might have taken more care or was the helmet fooling him into thinking the force was with him

Derek Obi Wan "Mos Eisley spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." (evidently never been to Moss Side then)

Reply to
Derek

There were simillar claims/counter claims when motorcyle helmets became compulsory. I've no idea what the reality was/is (since statistics can be used to prove anything you like[1]), but the bit that got me was that you can't ride home if your helmet is stolen, but you can drive home if your seat belt becomes defective, which ssems very unfair.

Richard

[1] Since drunk drivers are only involved in 30% of road accidents, they are obviously safer that those who are sober ;-)
Reply to
beamendsltd

The one is more obvios to plod than the other.

Reply to
Larry