OT - Shareaza

Sorry to go OT as usual, I'm getting some odd behaviour from Shareaza, and I'm hoping somebody here who understands networks better than me can elaborate.

After I run Shareaza for about 10 mins on my Broadband (512KB ADSL), I lose the ability to do anything else over the network, such as browse web pages, etc. If I disconnect from the Shareaza network (but leave the client open and downloading), everything goes back to normal. I was using Shareaza in the US last week on a 256KB connection and it performed perfectly - no such problems.

I also get much slower downloads from Shareaza at home (not much more than

100KB/sec downhill with the wind behind me) than I did in the US (up to the full 256KB without any trouble), even though my Upload speed maxes out at the full 256KB upstream bandwidth I have at home.

I also get *lots* of "No Sources" from home, vs very few from the US link. All in all, Shareaza performs like a dog at home, compared with performing a beaut from a hotel room in Arizona with half the bandwidth.

Any ideas? Nobody else seems to have this problem with Shareaza. My ADSL connection is through a router, which is set to forward port 6346 to the local machine.

Any light shed appreciated.

David

Reply to
David French

I should have mentioned that I get full 512KB bandwidth from other traffic (such as FTP downloads), it's only Shareaza that gives grief. Not sure about other peer-to-peer clients as I ditched them all because of the popups.

David French

Amazing, I'm having exactly the same problem! The only remedy is to reboot the router which isn't much help when it happens in the middle of the night!

Have you tried the Shareaza forums? I've only had a quick browse and haven't seen anything relavent yet.

Try using WinMX if you want to avoid popups, good for music, not so good for applications though. The other P2P I regularly use is Kazaa Lite K++ This is a version of Kazaa that has had all the popups, spyware & adware removed and is easily found via Google.

Steve H

Reply to
Steve H

David

Go into settings in Shareaza and turn down the upload and download figures - it sounds like it has set it's self up to use all of your bandwidth and after a while, none is left for anything else.

As for the performance, it is relative to the amount of use - the longer your individual node is connected, the better feed you will get.

At the bottom of the Shareaza screen it will tell you how many neighbours you are connected to - the more the merrier and I bet the figure in the US was higher than here. Keep it connected as much as poss and things will improve!

Reply to
Exit

I've had a look around and can't find anything. I've emailed my ISP now (Zen) to see if they are doing something behind the scenes.

My latest idea is that it's the "request connection" traffic which is causing the problems, so I'm going to try blocking port 6346 and see if that helps, or whether it stops it working at all. Watch this space.

David

Reply to
David French

I use winmx and always have, Total lack of popups and invasive other stuff. Found it to be excellent for Music, FIlms, BBC documentaries and everything else, get all our software there as well. It has adjustable bandwidth throttles so you can stop it hogging all your downstream. As for connection speed varience, its proberbly your ISP throttling a specfic port!

Reply to
Mark

I have my 3 computers (large family!) sharing a broadband connection via a network hub/router. When the connection hangs, all I have to do is reboot the router so I think its the router thats the problem. This has had the firewall set up to allow traffic via port 6346 but still no joy.

Steve H

Reply to
Steve H