P38 Transfer Neutral

Reading about selecting transfer neutral with a fuse on a P38, would it be possible to permanently drive a P38 in transfer neutral & only select 4 wheel drive by removing the fuse as-and-when required?

Cheers, Chrisall

Reply to
chris

Chris,

That's like fitting 4 freewheeling hubs.....guess what happens when the tfer/box is in neutral ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Perfectly possible. Top speed limited though and expect reduced acceleration.

David

Reply to
rads

DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

Reply to
chris

Entirely dependent on terrain and load..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Think there's a hint in the word "neutral" ;-) And the fact that in my previous post I was sitting on the drive in transfer neutral, main box in "D" and doing 2000 revs for 20 mins going nowhere!

Tee hee!

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

After all the "neutral" humour, if you want to put your Rangie in 2 wheel drive mode, the question is why? I remember reading an article by a classic Rangie owner, where he'd had to remove the front propshaft to limp home. He said that the handling was appalling when in rear wheel drive only.

And what would you save? A very small amount ouf fuel? Freewheeeling hubs save at most 5%.

So why spoil one of the best handling 4x4's in the world?

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

Graham Carter wrote: I remember reading an article by a classic

You would think the handling was flawless compared to limping one home in front wheel drive (as I did once). Put your heart in your mouth, because that's where it'll be anyway, 10 yards down the road. Clearing the whole area of traffic and pedestrians would be useful, too. (You might achieve this anyway).

Reply to
Peter A

What's the issue with the range rovers? I know I've driven my Defender 110 with both front and rear prop shafts removed (not at the same time obviously) and didn't notice anything frightening.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No idea, other than the weight distribution/suspension geometry sure doesn't suit front wheel drive. It was *very* crabby. It felt like... the tighter the turn... that it was about to slam over to full lock at any time. Like it was tramlining the whole time. That's presumably not the case but it's what the feedback felt like. I've only ever had the front shaft out of 110's so never compared them in front wheel drive 'mode'. It felt odd enough to make me very cautious. A pukka automotive design engineer could probably enlighten us further.

Reply to
Peter A

I dunno why really, just for the sheer hell of seeing what would happen I suppose !!!

Reply to
chris

Considering this group, no harm in that at all! That's how Land Rovers improve.

Cheers! Graham

Reply to
Graham Carter