"Part P" Electrical regulations

On or around 26 Jan 2007 00:28:39 -0800, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

blocks of flats? domestic or industrial?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 25 Jan 2007 01:49:27 -0800, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

I think the point is that as with all the regulations and especially with all the legislation which the government in the last couple of decades has brought in, it makes life harder and more expensive for the law-abiding and does little if anything to curb those who ignore the law.

The government had a much-heralded clamp-down etc. on road fund licence evasion which came in 2 years ago - now there's a bit on the front page of Times today saying that evasion and illegal cars have increased manyfold. So all those of us who play by the rules get caught by fines for failing to renew the SORN 'cos the system is stupid[1] and geared to trying to make more money, while those who have illegal motors with false plates blithely carry on as before, sans tax, licence, insurance etc. - and they don't get done for speeding by the gatso 'cos the registration number, even if it is registered, goes to a non-existent address.

They would of course get caught by yer actual plod, who can check the number and go "oi-oi, this one's not insured", except for the fact that in the interests of funding more speed cameras there are fewer actual patrol cars. Mind, I did get stopped for a vehicle identity check - they just asked if I were the keeper and my address - they'd obviously checked the tax and insurance etc. on the system.

I can think of others around this area more deserving of such checks though.

One thing I did agree with and that's the fact that the big problem with affording motoring is the cost of insurance - especially if you've got previous form, even if you've not actually had claims - try getting insurance if you've had got a DD on yer licence...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A lot less than I imagined - most BSI prices are extortionate: BS 7671:2001 Title: Requirements for electrical installations. IEE Wiring Regulations. Sixteenth edition - £49

I wholly agree with your suggestion that documents of this nature should be available free for download. Nothing would make more sense.

Reply to
Dougal

Only because the regulations now exist. If they hadn't they wouldn't.

And it's my house and my risk.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Speed cameras are self funding - indeed there have been quite a few rants on here about how they actually generate revenue. You can't have it both ways. There was also uproar in the tabloids cos on imaginative CC used the income to offset some of his overtime.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

We need a motto - how about

*Shit Happens*
Reply to
hugh

In message , beamendsltd writes

How come these guys are so clever if it has taken them 16 attempts so far to write these regulations.

Reply to
hugh

Each flat is definitely under part P from the flat's meter, I think the rest of the installation is too but would have to look it up to be

100%. Greg
Reply to
Greg

The insurers should pay out regardless if you've not diyed it, and then try to recoup from the tradesman, who MUST be ensured to be in a Part P scheme whereas he didn't have to before. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Greg

Again you seem totally unable to grasp the idea of not harming others. Greg

Reply to
Greg

I'm definitey in favour of more plod to actually catch ciminals, motoring or otherwise, of course if you apply this to sparkies you need some sort of enforcement which inevitably costs money and results in cries of "lets go back to the old days" 8-) Greg

Reply to
Greg

Plus the on site guide and about a dozen suppliments... Greg

Reply to
Greg

Because they can sell each one for =A350? greg

Reply to
Greg

Or a single user w/station CD for £395+VAT Network version for 10 people £1200+VAT

Reply to
Rob

In news:R+ snipped-for-privacy@raefell.demon.co.uk, hugh wibbled :

I would like to think it is because it is tracking an evolving technology. Unfortunately this latest edition and its derivatives seems to have bollixed it somewhat. Interestingly recently there has been something of a monumental row within the institute because it was becoming run like a business.

Reply to
GbH

Follow your logic and nobody will be allowed to do anything they have not been trained or certified for.

Car repairs, changing a fuse, changing a light bulb, putting up shelves, assembling an IKEA wardrobe, using paint etc. All have the potential to harm others if not done correctly.

Reply to
hugh