Percys back door.

Percy - My beloved IIa , well his rear door keeps on popping unlatched. Can't for the life of me work out why any ideas peeps? He was a truck can but everything seems correct on the fittings side of things. Even comes unlatched when locked.

Of course...refitting an engine may help the test drive but I'm looking beyond the little problems now ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

For it to unlatch the body must be flexing. You should look to why it is, probably cracked spot welds around the rear opening somewhere I would guess, or the attachment points of the hinges are loose or on floppy bits of body, or the hard top is loose, effectively allowing the top hinge to move. Of course if the chassis is so rotten it is allowing the body to twist...... Other things that will help are the tongue on the lock being worn so it has a slope on it or the lock body worn so as to allow it to sit at a bit of an angle, or a slope worn on the striker plate, or the striker plate too far fromthe lock. You may need to chock out the striker plate to get more depth of engagement, and consider replacing the lock and striker plate if at all suspect. JD

Reply to
JD

"Lee_D" wrote

When I got my latest 90 the old farmer that owned it obviously loved grease and had liberally spread it everywhere including the locks etc. This had hardened and with the accumulation of dirt over the years had turned solid. Thus all the locks didn't close properly, were as you describe, and the bonnet release just didn't work without all my strength. A good wash in some petrol etc and the application of some light grease (and a new bonnet release cable) and alls well. Check yours for accumulated crud.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Lee_D composed the following;:

Our S3 did this for a while, we assumed it was because the door was flexing with the spare wheel on the back, removed the wheel and it got a little better. Put a third hinge on, where previously there were only two, and it was cured .. ;)

LOL

Reply to
Paul - xxx