Plan to buy a new Disco TDV6 any experience on reliability

Hello all,

I am dwelling on the question whether to purchase a new Disco with the TDV6 engine. There seems to be little information on the reliability of the car. Any experience to share would be appreciated. The model I am looking at is the SE (French). The other car I am looking at is a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Thank you for your help!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Ditter

If you have not already visited you could try here:

Dougal

There are very few issues with the new Discovery. I do not own one but know people who do and they are very satisfied with it. Much improved over the previous model. It is in a different league to the Cruiser with 3.0 D4D engine, which is very 'old world' in design and driving experience. It is more compact, lively and economical than it or the big LC 100 [which I run] which is more of a Range Rover rival. I would have no hesitation in buying it if you like it. The engine, transmission and suspension are superb while the electronics provide many advantages and 'surprise and delight' features.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

TY Doug, good source. A bit scary to read the problem section....

I test-drove the car today and am very impressed.

Thanks again, Martin

Reply to
Martin Ditter

TY for the reaction. I drove the Discovery today, impressive indeed. Looks like we are going for the adventure

Reply to
Martin Ditter

From browsing the various sources it would seem that the suspension and electric systems are particular sources for concern. Any indication of changes in the production since early 2005? New type of compressor for instance? As from when? The car is for my wife and I do not fancy imagining her stuck somewhere with a brand nez car.

TY, Martin

Reply to
Martin Ditter

On or around Mon, 2 Jan 2006 13:07:28 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

longevity can hardly have been tested much yet, except by LR themselves. 's nice to hear that there are no glaring faults, though. not that I can afford one anyway...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you can find me a brand new car that is guaranteed to break down somewhere really remote I'll take two, one for the wife, and one for the mother-in-law. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

Martin Ditter muttered summat about:

Father has had one since November '04, no real problems to report. He has done 20,000 miles or there abouts without any issue. No mods have been done to it that I'm aware of, think its had a software upgrade, but only as part of service. Has been odd little things, like a faulty sender switch telling him he is low on coolant, but that was more of a nuisance than anything else. Nothing has let him down to date (touch wood). Did a couple hundred miles in it myself over christmas break, and have to say was very impressed. Its a TDV6 HSE, the only thing stopping me ordering one atm is the price.

Reply to
Graham G

I bought one in December and I have to say I absolutely love it, it is more like a Range Rover to drive. The air suspension is fabulous, the engine is sweet as a nut and I have had absolutely no problems at all. To be honest I don't think there is a better all-round car available today,

My advice - BUY ONE!!!!!

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Thanks to all, I took the general advice, sold my soul to my banker and signed for a TDV6 Seven SE. Could not get one with nav system before three monts so I went for the one without. I'll let you know how we get on once we have the marvel....if ever my wife lets me drive it!

TY again. Martin

Reply to
Martin Ditter

"Martin Ditter" ha scritto nel messaggio news:43bc3489$0$18313

You did well. The navigator is nice to see, the "pleen-plon!" voice guidance is sympa, but the whole system is not worth the 3 KEUR it costs (2K for the satnav and 1K for the advanced audio system). As for map details and ease of use, my wife's 350 eur "tomtom one" is better. It might be nice to have the premium satnav, with offroad capability and mechanical innerworkings display (say goodbye to another 1K euro, and they make

4k)(!!).

Definitely invest that money in automatic shift instead. I have the manual gear and with 6 speeds i'm shifting all the times as crazy. But, as the car has so much torque, i only use the odd speeds :-|.

On road, it handles as a starship, seems to run as maglev, on an air cushion.

Wouldn't a Yaris or a Panda be more than enough for a wife? how many kids will she being touring around?

Reply to
Vincenzoni Attilio, Esq.

'course it would - way too much. doubt she'd need much more than a bicycle to fetch the odd bit of shopping for the evening meal.

immaterial - the walk is good for them.

/gets coat

Reply to
William Tasso