Portals again: LRE this month

For those contemplating fitting portal axles to a landy, LRE magazine has a 90 on the cover with portals, I've only seen it on their website, not seen the mag so don't know how much detail they're going into. Looks like 303 wheels from here.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The axles are from a Volvo, i like the look of the 90's

Reply to
Nige

Yep, thought so, the Volvo C303 is the popular donor of choice.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Reading the article, it wasnt an easy graft!!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I doubt it was, but apparently it's the easiest!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Talking of portals, i was on me way home Norwich today & saw some kind of crop spraying thingy & it portals & with the size of the wheels i bet it had four foot ground clearance. it's not often you can look under a vehicle in a Range Rover to look for oncoming traffic!!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I've seen a few similar around here, all the ones I've seen had hydraulic drive, i.e. hydraulic motors in each wheel, great idea as long as you don't want to go more than about 30MPH ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:53:06 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

spraying thingy & it

it's not often you can

cool. If you had a small nippy car, you could undertake it by driving in between the wheels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles