Series Gearbox identification

Can anyone help please? I have just stripped some teeth in the gearbox on my series 11a landy. I don't think that the 2.25 diesil is original to this vehicle, and I need to know how to make sure I buy the correct gearbox to replce the broken one.

Any help gratefully received. Cheers Del

Reply to
derekharts

Where is the clutch slave located (this will tell you wether it is a series 2 or 3 box). Either box will fit as a replacement though there are a few little changes you will have to make going either way (s3 box in s2 means moving the clutch pipework and grinding a small lip off the chassis so the clutch will fit(

Reply to
Tom Woods

And if you are replacing a 2A box with a Series3 then you will need a different clutch cover plate without the bearing boss and if it's a 9" clutch you will need a full clutch and dowel change on the flywheel. Gearbox number ??

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The Series 3 gearbox differs from the Series 1,2,2a box in that it has synchromesh on all forward gears where the earlier box has it only on 3 &

  1. The easy identification is that the Series 3 has a horizontal direct acting clutch slave on the Left side of the box, the earlier boxes have a vertical external slave cylinder on the right side operating a cross shaft.

But note that the Series 2a boxes were subject to a number of significant changes, denoted by suffix letters on the number stamped on the right side of the box. You should prefer the ones with a suffix C or higher. All series boxes are interchangeable (except Stage1) subject to changing the slave cylinder plumbing, but note that the bell housing for the six and Series 1 petrol is different from the 2.25 petrol and diesel engines.

Some 2a chassis may need modification to provide clearance for a S3 slave cylinder. JD

Reply to
JD

Unless of course someone has changed the bellhousing. As said before, a number would help in identification, or a link to some pics front and rear.

And the early Series 1 is different again. :-)

*Almost* all Series boxes are interchangeable if you change the bellhousing and/or layshaft and some 1st/2nd and reverse gears. If you want it to look original and make refitting the same and also have a better gearbox then use a Series 3 suffix C on and fit your bellhousing to it.
Reply to
Oily