Powerless TDi or is it?

Thanks one and all for your ansers to my clonking problems. Next on the list is...........The power is shown as max at 4000rpm. I'm lucky if it will rev to this in 3rd, 4th or 5th. It appears to rev out about 3500 and then only slowly creep its way to 4000.

I've had a look at the turbo pipes, inlet side but acnnot detect any leaks. The air box appears intact and filter clean.

How high should the Tdi rev? I appreciate that high reving of diesels is not particulary recommeded. But what is the 'red-line', not that it actually has one on the tacho. My Nissan primastar van (diesel...as renault traffic, vauxhall vivaro clone\) will rev to 4000 then absolutely not rev any higher, I asswume that there is somekind of rev limiter/governor setup. Does the Tdi have the same?

Thanks in anticipation

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Check for the presence of a "gunge" in the fuel lines. Start at the sedimenter unit on the inner face of the off-side chassis leg, near the back axle. last umpteen I've looked at with the same low power/rpm symptoms have been literally choked up with a white-ish gloopy gungy substance, normally found due to microbiological activity and the presence of moisture. A thorough clean out and an airline blast back to the tank will prove if that was the fault or not, but you then need to remove the tank and clean it properly. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:06:20 GMT, "Tony" enlightened us thusly:

I assume you have a rev counter... if it's fed from the alternator, make sure the connections are sound. Also (ideally) that it's the correct alternator.

The diesel pump has a governed maximum, yes. Free-revving should be about

4500 as standard, you can set it a touch higher, I think our 300 TDi is revving to about 4700 or so.

Assuming that it does that (and check also that the throttle cable is not too slack - might just not be opening the pump up fully) then you might, if it's still gutless and makes no smoke, contemplate tweaking the diesel up a bit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Tony, if this problem is slowly getting worse I would suggest that you may want to check your timing. With age and stretch the timing belt will cause the timing to vary. Usually both the injector pump and cam shaft end up being retarted, and as timing is important to performance in a diesel, contribute to a reduction in performance.

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Mine was the same until I followed Austin's tweak on the fuel pump. After that it revs to 4k in 4th, haven't actually tried it in 5th as the original tweak was enough to earn me two lots of 3 points each! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:48:04 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

oops.

Reply to
Austin Shackles