Clonking

On my stage 1 when I go round a corner I get a Clonk from the rear , the strange thing is if I go round a right hand corner and it clonks I will not get another one until I go round a left hand corner no mater how many right hander i take after that , I also get no clonks or bangs if I go over a bumpy road ????? . its had new leaf springs on the back and I cant see any thing moving

Any ideas welcome ( even stupid ones ! lol )

Reply to
o0hex0o

Rear shock absorber top bushes?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

the bushes where the shackles go through the chassis are al right?

could be moving side to side in them.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Loose U-bolts. They should have been tightened a couple of times since the new springs were fitted because they will have bedded in.

Reply to
EMB

Have you tightened them properly?, also toss that beer bottle out of the back. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Loose U-bolts; possibly loose shackle pins, and possibly something loose in the back or one of the lockers. Last thing I had like that was eight inches of fibreglass insulating rod for an electric fence. John

Reply to
JD

I had the same a few years ago. It was the bushes sliding in the chassis. The only way I could stop it was to put a couple of spots of weld on the edge of eac bush.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote: thanks for the suggestions, gong to try them all tonight , any one know what the u bolts should be torque up to ?

thanks Paul

Reply to
o0hex0o

when i did mine i loaded the landy (I used 3 or 4 mates) first and then tightened the U bolts FT! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

A Good Plan... The spring should be compressed (a chain round a trolley jack works ok) so that there is 162mm (109) or 142mm (88) from the top of the axle tube to the chassis above the bump stop. Then the shackle bolts should be tightened to 60 to 60 lb/ft, and the u-bolt nuts to 58 lb/ft.

Doing this will give a much better ride.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com uttered summat worrerz funny about:

May also be worth checking the locator bolt hasn't gone AWOL, it goes through the leaf springs and helpd the axle pad sit central.

One of the 101 owners had a worn spring pad wich somehow allowed one side of the axle to move forward and backwards two inches, any such movement I would guess would be apparent by checking the rust on the leaf springs for interference.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned looking for a nut on a string ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Shut up Martyn. It took us 2 days to find and remove one of those from a brand new car - hung inside an inaccessible welded cavity by some assembly line monkey.

Reply to
EMB

You were lucky - I've heard of far (far) worse from a workforce disgruntled with their employers :-)

Reply to
Mother