quiet LR 90

Has anyone got any experience of "quietening" an old Landie? Is there anything around to fit into wheelarches, underside of bonnet, etc. to make it slightly more comfy?

Martin

Reply to
Martin-in-the-Forest

You could try Noise killer acoustics tel 01616438070 i know he does sound proofing for landies....

Reply to
Brevit

Reply to
David Bexhall

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Martin-in-the-Forest) growled:

Yeah, you can buy pre-cut stuff, but we just went to our local carpet shop and bought a few metres of underfelt. Glued it on with spray glue and it has worked a treat. A lot cheaper, but a bit more work.

Reply to
Paul Oldham

I cut and installed some different material on the weekend: plastic bubble wrap sandwiched between thin aluminum sheets (sold at the local hardware stores in rolls). I basically cut it to size and placed it under the floor mats. Not sure it has any effect on reducing noise (felt may be a lot better, probably), but it was cheap and easy to do. In the back of the vehicle, I have installed some of that material, and some rubber matting on top of it. Makes for a spongy back floor, which will at least stop the noises of metal objects moving around or dropping on the floor (tire iron, for ex.).

About the underfelt, I am not sure if one should be concerned about its water-retention properties? One advantage of the bubblewrap/aluminum stuff is that it doesn't hold any water.

I plan on installing some heat-insulating material under the gearbox tunnel (I have a 110, and usually get hot air coming out of there on summer days), which should also insulate some of the sound a bit from the drivetrain. I may stick some of this material on the engine side of the firewall, if possible.

Reply to
Robert St-Louis

I have had some very good experience with the Noisekiller sound insulation kits for D90 and Range Rover Classic. First class service, very good quality materials properly precut and easy to fit. And the Noisekiller liquid is easy to use and appears to be doing its job well.

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ec.gc.ca (Robert St-Louis) growled:

This stuff seems to be closed cell, so it shouldn't retain water ... fingers crossed.

Reply to
Paul Oldham