Range Rover anti-roll bar question.

Hi everyone, im 18 and from Melbourne, Australia. I have found a lot of useful info in this forum.

I have done a few searches on the topic and there is a lot of info but nobody mentions exactly how much anti roll bars limit offroad capabilities on range rover classic's, are they worthwhile if the car will be used both on and offroad? I am asking because I am soon buying a 1980 rangie classic next week. I want to put old man emu suspension on it as the rear springs need replacing anyway.

Does anybody have a classic with old man emu suspension fitted, does it still have severe body roll?

My other question is, can anybody tell me what the brand/type of the winch/full length brush-bar pictured below is? -

Thanks in advance for any help!

Felix

Reply to
Felix

The more they work, the more they limit. That's what they do. The rangie's compliant suspension is why it often gets by without the locking diffs neccessary on lesser vehicles that have sway bars. Go without them, you'll soon get your 'sea legs' & get used to the body roll. Great for frightening passengers on the tarmac- they think the car's going to fall over. Accelerate out of corners & hear 'em scream!

BTW, stick with rubber bushes to maintain the soft suspension- don't 'upgrade' with polybushes; of course that's just my opinion...

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Allright, thanks for the advice, that sounds like good advice, i especially like the scaring passengers part :-). The only reservation I had was bad handling and a 'mushy' feeling out on the highway but if its only a feeling-thing and dosnt actually handle badly im sure ill get use to it. Somebody said in another post; "you can corner untill the door handles touch the ground, or at least thats what it feels like to passengers anyway". Well, thanks for the advice. cheers, felix.

Natalie Drest wrote:

Reply to
Felix

Felix, re suspension ... BEFORE you head to OME suspension, check out Les Richmond Automotive. Fair bit of info on their web site, but as you are in Melbourne go and visit them. I have used their advice and some of their suspension stuff in my 1988 RRC to great effect. Michael T Aussie '88 Range Rover Tdi Auto

Reply to
TF

I've had roll bars on my '75RR for about 25 years (the same one's) and wouldn't have gone without them for long distance touring. I can't think of any incidence where they limited me off road. If it comes to terrain so rugged that it might happen, then just disconnect them, easily done.

The Bilstein's that I had all round for about 20 years, including steering stabiliser, finally wore out and at short notice I changed to OME. Although I haven't done much distance with the RR since then, my initial feeling is that the Bilstein's felt better (even as old as they were) and I wish that I had waited a bit longer. Many years ago, while the road from the NT border to Pimba was still 900km of a fun, corrugated, dirt track they performed brilliantly, many times. I'll be interested to see if the OME's can last anywhere near that long.

My springs were provided by Les Richmond Automotive (mentioned above)

and are a good source for many items and info. They can supply many different rating springs to suit your usage. Also consider the Victorian RR Owners club
which could then give you access to their books of technical tips covering the earlier models.

You may also wish to consider fitting Polyair bags to the rear which can be combined with different rating springs to give the ride height and stiffness that suits your usage.

Lastly, I do have polybushes all round, but as they've only been on for about 7-8 years, I can't attest to their longevity.

Happy Rovering PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

Reply to