Range rover rot

Hi,

My wife just bought me a Range Rover with the money left over from the wedding budget :)

It's a 1990 3.9 manual currently without an MOT or tax so we got it for a grand, complete with lpg coversion and good tailgates so I reckon it was well worth it but there are a few rot issues with it:

n/s sill - I got the Haynes restoration manual and it would appear that it's quite an involved job but a new inner and outer sill came with the vehicle. Any hints from anyone who's done this before? (this is the only MOT failure on the sheet)

n/s A pillar - bottom of this is rotten and though it could get away with being patched I think it should be replaced, again how difficult is it and any hints? The footwell itself doesn't seem to be rotten for some reason.

n/s windscreen post - this is the biggest issue for me. I can see repair sections available for the other rotten bits, but the windscreen post seems quite bad really with fairly big rotten bits lifting off and making it look untidy. Do you get new windscreen posts, how are they held to the rest of the body and has anyone successfully repaired rot in this area before? Also, the Haynes manual makes light work of removing RR windscreens but I was warned off replacing 110 windscreens by many people as I was told it was not a DIY thing and there was a high chance of breakage. Seeing as how this vehicle has a perfect heated screen I really wouldn't like to break it

- is it easier or harder to remove than a 110 screen?

Any hints or advice appreciated.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

This just confirms what I thought about me having a defective wife :)

Although if that 6x6 101 comes on the market to coincide with the completion of a house sale later this year, I think the temptation could be too much to resist. I'm sure she'd get used to it.

David

Reply to
David French

Now that's what I call a result.

"We'll skimp on the bridesmaids' dresses and do without the individual hand-crafted name cards for the reception, dear, 'cos you look like you need a Rangie."

Has this ever happened before in the history of mankind?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

better than the sound of bacon frying as 2 peices of paint free , rust free metal weld together, and there is nothing worse than all the spitting and burning caused by poor preparation....... Forget " Oh I cant be bothered cleaning it all up , I just want a quick job" ........its actually quicker to do it all properly . As 4 1/2 inch angle grinders are about 10 quid now get 2 or 3 with sanding grinding and paint remover disks and do a good prep job .

Assuming they re not bonded removing and fitting screens is easy, you need a mate to help you and some good string ( starter cord for mowers etc is good, enough to go round the outside 1 1/2 times ), and a bottle of lubricant .

steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver