Freelander TD4 Auto Question

Just spent a week touring Scotland in our TD4 Auto. Haven't driven it much before, as its wifes car, but i'm a little concerned about the power response. Full power delivery only seems to come around 5 seconds after you request it. ie. If you want to overtake, it only picks up its heals and goes 5 seconds after you want it to, which is a little disconcerting. It goes like stink when it finally decides to go.

Is this a characteristic of the auto box, the TD4 engine, or is their something wrong. I want to know, because its not got long to run on its warranty.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

Sounds like you've discovered the wonders of Turbo Lag - basically the turbo only really kicks in at around 2500-2700 revs and gives you a sudden kick up the arse.

I'm surprised the TD4 suffers from this that badly, I know the 200TDi in the Disco has it to some extend and nothing has it quite as badly as the old

2.7TD Maverick I used to drive.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the car per-se. It just takes 5 seconds for the engine to rev high enough for the turbo to kick in.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 12:12:19 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

try running it a gear lower, to have more revs on it to start with - the 300 TDi needs about 2000 revs to get into the "zone", though it's happy enough to pootle at 1300, it doesn't pull worth a light from those revs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nah..... It's not that. Its worse than turbo lag, besides it doesn't matter if its reving at 1500 or 3000 rpm, its still give non if very little throttle response at all.

I'm questioning engine management, and I want to know if all TD4 auto's suffer the same way?

My Disco 300Tdi responds instantly to throttle openings.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

2500-2700?? Sounds a little late. Around 1800 on my TD4 (manual)
Reply to
peter degotardi