Windscreen scum

So much scum on windscreen cant see where i am going in light rain.

Has anyone any tips as to how to remove the scum from a windscreen

thanks

Reply to
ncs

50/50 water meths mix on a cloth or even neat if you have enough. Put about 10% in screen wash bottle with a squirt of washing up liquid.
Reply to
Mark

thanks mark

it is really bad at night in light rain - oncoming lights can't see a thing.

will try your tip in morning

Reply to
ncs

Vinegar might help remove some of the crud, but also, how are the wiper blades ? (cracked / hard / split blades can do a crap job of clearing the screen too)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Do you wash the screen using wash/wax? Or use the wax cycle in a carwash? It can be difficult to remove. You need an abrasive really - Windowlene or even toothpaste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DON'T put washing up liquid in! It just comes out smeary and minging. Put proper sceen wash and water in. As much/little as you like at this time of year when it's not freezing. I just add "A good splosh" of screenwash to each jug I poor in (I use a 1 litre jug to fill mine).

Reply to
DanB

Thus spake ncs ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Stop them jumping on your car! :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Thus spake DanB ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Washing-up liquid isn't too good for your paintwork either.

A friend of mine swears by using wet newspaper to clean windows.

I recently bought an E-Cloth - expensive (perhaps that's what the E stands for :-) but lasts a long time and does the job very nicely, and needs only water. Available in Tesco and others, and online, but you pay through the nose for the latter.

Reply to
A.Clews

Urban myth dating from when carbon inks were used rather than the current types. Now any similar paper would do as well - but won't remove some smears.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Screenwash won't remove wax from glass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neither is screenwash. The concentrate one on my BMW started leaking and removed the paint below it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The best stuff ever made for smeary windscreens was Holts Mixra, the name of which changed later to Screenies. A small squirt on the windscreen and let the wipers clean the screen. Absolutely magical, but I've not seen it around for years.

Reply to
Steve B

This is the stuff........ I found some on-line at

Steve B

Have you tried shouting "Get back to Liverpool, you thieving bastard"?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Halfords "intensive" glass cleaner.

Reply to
Depresion

If it's really bad use a hammer and claim for a new screen off insurance for about 50 notes without affecting NCB.

Reply to
Redwood

Well how come it works perfectly for me. Clean as a whistle. Not smear while washing, wiping or when dried.

Reply to
Mark

Rubbish! I've heard this old wives tale for decades and it was probably circulated by shampoo and wax manufacturers.

Yeah, it does give it a extra glaze but we are talking about serious grim here and not making the car look showroom clean. I could not give a stuff about how a car looks and a matt paint finish would suit me just fine. I've just never got all this crap about a shiny car beyond protecting the paintwork from the weather.

Its a cloth, is a cloth, is a cloth. There are countless products for the car market to entise money from pockets, but most of the time old rags and dusters are all that is needed.

Reply to
Mark

Now that I like LOL :-)

Reply to