Range Rover Top Tailgate Advice Please

My RR needs a new top tailgate due to the dreaded rust and am therefore approaching you guys for advice.

Should I replace it with a steel or aluminium frame?

Any recommendations about where to get the replacement from?

Are they easy to assemble and seal properly?

Any other tips / advice?

Thanks in advance

-- Tony

Reply to
TonyFisher

Take a peek here

and here

should help

Cheers

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

FWIW I would steer clear of the aluminium ones.

The biggest cause of tailgates not closing is because people insist on closing them with the handle in the middle. This warps the frame out at the latches and, other than rust, is the main cause of the problems. The aluminium tailgates warp much quicker than the steel counterparts so the problem occurs sooner.

If you can train everyone who uses your Rangie to close the tailgate in the correct manner - pushing at the outer corners of the tailgate - then this is less of an issue.

Whichever you fit, make sure you add a bevel of sealant along the bottom edge of the glass to make sure that there is no way for water to sit in the groove that they normally have there.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Too late - I've already ordered an ally one. :-( £200 for the frame delivered to North Yorkshire.

I'm really the only one that uses the car. My wife doesn't drive it but she sometimes uses the boot. I must admit that I use the centre handle and one corner.

Thanks. I will do this time. In fact I'll do it all the way round to be on the safe side. :-)

Tony

Reply to
TonyFisher