Re: 1993 Disco Transfer gear problems

Chris;

I've had a 1993 Tdi with manual main box since new. My transfer box always felt spongy but worked OK so I thought that was normal for a Disco until....at about 100 00km or 7 years later it first started to jump out of high and later I could not select high. It cost $A400.00 to have a look at it and the verdict was that a clamping screw on the high-low selection fork had fallen out to the bottom of the case and luckily did no damage to any gears. Repairs cost nearly $A2000.00 and the transfer box feels entirely different now. Positive end stops and free movement in between. I must add that I use low range every day to reverse up our steep drive way but still this shouldn't have happened. Just another of

37 defects that the Disco has racked up. Frank in Aussieland ............................................................ ............................................................ ..................
Reply to
thesnowbaron

How many minor faults and how many major ones? We have had the transfer box and diffs replaced on ours too. Can't tell you the reason for this as they were replaced before we had it and the service history only states what was done and the cost.

Reply to
Nikki

Chris, the most usual cause of this problem - and it's not uncommon - is the pivot in the linkage. They've been known to wear/break/fall out before.

Not sure if you can get to it by removing the centre console, though that's got to be worth a try first.

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

I had a small bolt drop out of the selector in the tranfer box on my old 90, leaving me with no drive - simple problem but it cost hundreds to fix because the box had to come out. It's probably the same with a Disco if this happens.

Hope this isn't what's happened. But if it is, and the box has to come out, have the main gearbox output shaft checked for worn splines too. Ascertain whether the shaft has been renewed / modified to give a better oil feed, and if it hasn't, it'd be worth doing that at the same time.

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball