Disco Transfer Box problems

Just brought a 1993 disco manual 5 speed.

When you move the hi-low lever there is no resistance as if nothings connected to it. Not much better side to side but the diff lock light does come on and off occasionally.

have already looked under the car and put my hands up towards the top of the transfer box while someone moves the lever and can feel linkages moving,

Has anyone else had this problem and where was the fault.

If i was to remove the centre console and rubber gaters etc etc would i be able to see the linkages better and look inside the top of the transfer box to see if anythings loose ?

Can does drive ok and is in permant Hi and cannot select neutral or Low.

Chris Lord

Reply to
Chris Lord

Hi Chris,

This happened to me recently.

Remove the console and the packing/soundproofing and then drill out rivets (possibly screws) holding the plate allowing you to remove the rubber seal. Looking down and to the right the linkage goes to the top of the transfer box. You need to remove the breather pipe and (i think) 6 bolts to free off the cover. When you get it out you'll see that there's a rod with the selector which should be held with a grub screw. On mine the grub screw had come loose. I tightened it up after applying some loctite. New gasket and replaced everything.

Job's a good 'un.

Phew, a couple of quids worth of bits and bobs instead of anything drastic in the transfer box.

Two bolts in the cover can't be removed while the cover is still insitu. And getting them back in place with the gasket is a bit tricky and possibly the hardest bit of the job.

It is possible that the securing pin at the top of the linkage has come adrift but I doubt it as there's not normally enough room to release the pin if it has been properly fitted previously.

Ed HTH and makes sense.

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed