Re: Brand new SIII

Twas Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:08:00 +0100 when Alex put finger to keyboard producing:

> >>DVLA points system says ,,,,,, you can replace chassis with a new one of >>original design/spec and it counts as original, loads of space there to >>abuse the system. >> > >Yes, you can replace the chassis, or you can replace up to a certain >number of items, under the Points system. Too many points for >replacement parts and it has to get a Q-plate. > >This is of course, assuming that you tell em you've completely rebuilt >it with new parts. Of course the new parts you buy won't have serial >numbers on them, by strange coincidence, and the old chassis number >will somehow find itself on the new chassis while you were in bed, >fast asleep. > >Alex >

So could I buy a knackered S3 (tax exampt please)...

buy a load of parts to build a new one, maybe a 200TDi and some coil springs, and have a brand now coil-sprung, TDi S3 and pay no tax?

I like it.

Now how do I make it run on air alone.....

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Coils would be a problem, any idiot would be able to tell that it wasn't a Series chassis. Again, only a problem if you get caught....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:20:16 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

put it on parabollocks..

Reply to
Austin Shackles

still slightly confusing... say you get an old series 2 and replace the chassis cos its a teabag. Fine you can keep your reg.

12 months later the engine blows up, so you replace it with a new one, 6 months later you destroy your axle on a big rock and buy a new one, but you decide to go for a back axle to so you have disk brakes all round cos your other axle is well rusty, you change to parabolics while you`re at it... at a trial you stick the motor on its side - so you get a new tub and a few other body panels.

that means in the period of about 3 years you`ve replaced msot of the vehicle with new parts. Do you still have to SVA the vehicle as you won`t now have enough points?

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

Twas Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:27:46 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

I see series 3's with coils on.. para bollocks to you too ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas 1 Apr 2004 01:34:28 -0800 when snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nick C) put finger to keyboard producing:

you are really thinking about this aren't you....

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

That's getting complicated. I think it might depend a little on the timing, and just how you do it. Getting out a V8 that just happened to be in the back of the shed might be a little risky.

But I understand that the body panels on the Series-to-Defender line don't count.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Ive pretty much done this with mine (cept 2nd hand rather than new mainly!), and i still consider it the same vehicle. It had a replacement second hand chassis before i got it. One of the first things i had to do was replace the front chassis legs - Now it has no numbers on and its never caused any hassle! (MOT tester have never even looked past the bulkhead plate)

There are so many around who have gone further (My chassis is knackered... might as well replace it with one with coils while im at it...)

I think that unless they make the rules really clear and obvious and well known, that theres going to be nothing to stop you doing this, or pretty much whatever you wanted! Id be happy to follw the rules if I knew exactly what they were!

My mate had his landy MOT'd the other day, and asked the bloke about SVA tests. He didnt even know what they were!. The MOT tester only qualified/passed all his tests about 2 weeks ago, so if anyone should have know it was him!

I got asked the other day about my 'series 90', so i dont think that your average person in the street knows the difference between a series 3 and a 90.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I don't reckon my engine is original being as it is painted red for a five main bearing and that makes it newer than 1973 doesn't it ?

Reply to
Larry

I believe that has been done on numeros occasions with sundry classic racing cars

Reply to
Larry

I have to disagree as on the MOT testers course all that is covered is the MOT manual, they just go through the book they don't even cover the requirements for each catagory of vehicle eg:motor caravan, Ambulance etc so there's no reason for him to know about SVA's

Andy

- SWB Series 2a ( dressed as a 3) "Bruce" It's big it's mean it's really really green

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

That seems a bit stupid (I would have expected that to be atleast mentioned!). I shall let the guy off then! :)

Generally, the MOT man is the only person (other than yourself) who actually sees your vehicle in terms of getting the paperwork to put it on the road - It would make more sense if he actually knew more about the legalities.

As a 101 ambi owner i've had a fair bit of experience of trying to find MOT testers who actually know the rules...

The government seems to be spending (wasting) a lot of time messing with things like the road tax system, but there still seems to be a big weakness in the whole roadworthy car part of the system - There may be rules there, but they are not obvious and hardly anyone knows them (e.g. MOT testers).

Reply to
Tom Woods