Re: More Infor on BioDiesel

Of course not. Much better to burn the fuel in a power station at

45% efficiency then transport it long distances on overhead pwoerline losign another 10% or so then to turn it into hydrogen using an inefficient and polluting process.

Do dweebs like you ever engage their brains?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which takes land, water, fertilizer, etc. Worst of the resources needed is the water.

Particularly without energy sources capable of converting junk water or sea water to hydrogen.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Except of course for that nasty little prerequisite of electricity. Or the water itself...

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

For what, all three dozen vehicles in the entire country? And what sort of highly volcanic geology does Iceland have that allows this geothermal energy to be extracted? This might possibly scale to allow enough hydrogen to power a few snowmobiles in Yellowstone, but it ain't gonna scale to even power New York City.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Insufficient inbound solar radiation to perform this task. Worse would be the lack of real estate where solar collectors could be placed.

Easier to bypass the middleman energy-wise and get energy from hydrogen in the same manner as the sun does.... and use that to process waste water or such. Politically a bit on the unacceptable side tho.... as it could also be done with fission derived energy.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Yeah, the smell of burnt french fries isn't that attractive, nor as medically safe as is often presumed.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Show me all the large ships that burn Diesel fuel. Most are burning Bunker C oil, along with power plants and other large industrial burners. It is the leftovers after refining crude mixed with lighter oil just to make it flow some.

Reply to
Steve W.

Right, so all 6 billion of us should live in Iceland right?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I understand that bunker C was one step above the stuff we put on the roads.

The Independent

Reply to
The Independent

I saw the table listing avocadoes as having the highest yield of oil per acre.

As someone who has has 6 avocadoes (mostly young, planted within the past several years...maturity takes 6-18 years, depending on variety, other factors), I can assure everyone that gibberish about how avocadoes can be used to more economically (than gasoline/petrol/diesel) fuel vehicles has never priced an avocado in a supermarket.

And, yes, I spent a fair amount of mine fertlizing them, watering them, pruning them, and babying them. All so that I will have avocadoes to eat, not avocado oil to somehow fuel a vehicle with.

And in the places where avocadoes grow best, land tends to be expensive. An acre of land for avocadoes can never conceivably be paid for with a mere 200 gallons of oil per year, even if the water and fertilizer and prunng and harvesting were to be free. Do the math.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 16:47:52 -0400, "Steve W." enlightened us thusly:

well, aye. probably I should have said "boats".

However, my point stands - refining crude is probably equally to make diesel (and kerosene - all that AVTUR for the jest engines??) rather than all the other oils being "byproducts" of the process of refining gasoline.

Commercial vehicles in most countries, buses in most countries, all run on diesel.

I grant you that in the early days they may have been, however, I imagine that in the very early days, oil refining was presumably about refining lamp oil, it was only later that someone deiced to try and run engines on it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 15:17:11 -0300, Chris Phillipo enlightened us thusly:

some of us already do... :-(

however. if the oil supply does become limited, prices will go up.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 06:40:27 -0700, The Independent enlightened us thusly:

There was a website about it... ermmm...

"Energy demand growth is a global issue, but to get a feel for numbers, let?s begin with the scale of energy use in the US alone. The US vehicle fleet accumulated 2600 billion miles in 1997 [Ref 2]. Assuming success in building a hydrogen-powered automobile fleet, we would need 0.013kg of hydrogen for every mile driven to replace the gasoline and diesel fuel [Ref

3]. If we were to manufacture the hydrogen by electrolysis we would need 240 gigawatts of new electrical generating capacity. That is almost exactly one half of the total electrical generating capacity of the US."

that's from

which addresses the possibility of using nuclear power to electrolyze water. It also includes comparisons with other generating techniques including renewable sources such as biomass, solar and wind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 20:26:43 GMT, "L0nD0t.$t0we11" enlightened us thusly:

see my other post nearby for a link which says you'd need 3000 sq. miles of solar collectors to supply current US vehicle fule requirements.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 20:22:07 GMT, "L0nD0t.$t0we11" enlightened us thusly:

the water is reusable though, once the hydrogen has been used in the car it goes back to being water.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 08:24:08 GMT, Gunner enlightened us thusly:

true, but the high taxes predate the current regime.

and they've spent several billion on the war in Iraq so far, buggrem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

John D Rockafeller became on of the wealthiest men in the world with his Standard Oil Company selling coal oil. Before the big breakup of the evil monopoly people were buying coal oil for 11-13 cents a gallon. For the next decade after the break up people were buying coal oil for 17 to

20 cents a gallon.

The break of of Standard Oil Company cost the american consumer billions of extra dollars

Gasoline did not become widely available until after World War I. It wasn't until the early 1930's that farm equipment became gasoline powered. Before the 1930's farm equipment motive force was a verity of heavy oil engines. The switch to Diesel on the Farm began in the late

60's. It was the switch to Diesel on the farm is what forced the major automobile manufactures to begin manufacturing light diesel trucks.

The Independent

Reply to
The Independent

That wouldn't be a big chunk of New Mexico or Arizona - or Saudi Arabia come to think of it. 55 miles x 55 miles. I have me doubts though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

However none of the "we can make huydrogen by electrolysis" nuts ever addresses the problems. The inefficiency and the potential for pollution in the form of chlorine and hydroxide. Neither of them trivial byproducts.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On or around Sun, 16 May 2004 12:31:59 +0100, Steve enlightened us thusly:

it's research form a supposedly reputable lot, although they're trying to sell the unclear option, so the other figures might be augmented :-)

the other point was that the 3000 sq mi of solar collectors was gonna cost $4.8 trillion (albeit erroneous american trillions)

Reply to
Austin Shackles