Re: ovedrive on td5 90

hi all

> just managed to convince the wife i needed a v reg 90 td5 to pull a > big box van for work > it does the job fine > when not towing it seems like your reving it to death at 70mph > argh i thought 750 x 16 will cure that > which it did > then it wouldn;t pull box > so me think's what about a modern overdrive unit > iv;e seen one in a mag for £850 new > question time please > are these units any good if so does anyone have one for sale second > hand not one of the lever operated ones but one with a electronic > switch if there is such a thing > regards geoff willerton reply here as email is wrong

You mean get rid of the 750's, fit some smaller tyres and the overdrive?

How heavy is the trailer?

You could keep the 750's and fit 4.7 diffs at £100 each and get the same result.

Reply to
Exit

All I know about these £850 overdrive units is what I've seen in the Land Rover mags. They look very vulnerable to theft - apart from the wiring to the special replacement gear lever knob I think they just bolt onto the PTO position at the back of the transfer box. If you get one of these overdrives, best take a note of its serial no. if it has one.

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

the size of the box is more relevant as it's 16' long 7'6" wide by 9' tall and is capable of 3.5 tons all up it's a bit of a drag with a flat front the 205 x16 pull it fine which i believe are standard fittment but as i said before it seeems like it want's another gear when not towing if i was to change the transfere gear box with one out of a disco would it pull as well as it does now the ad for the overdrive was for a gkn one from savage i don't mean to open up a bag of worms but has anyone bought one of these units and are they any good the idea of using 750 with lower ratios in axles is ok for towing but you would still need overdrive when not or am i missing the point regards geof willerton

Reply to
treemendos

No, you're not missing the point, but you can't have have an ideal set up for heavy towing and solo I suppose - personally I wouldn't worry about the engine revs solo as TD5's are quite capable of sustained revs, just fit some more sound-proofing so you can't hear it or turn up the radio! :)

Reply to
Exit