2" Lift Td5 90

Hope someone can advise me: I have purchased a 2" lift kit, springs, shocks bushes etc from explorer pro comp for my '99 Td5 90. The chap that is going to fit them for me (I am not very technically minded) tells me I will also need straps ? to stop springs from dislocating front and rear. I realise I need different prop shafts with wider yokes, but he also tells me if I raise the suspension I will upset all the steering geometry? PLEASE, can someone advise if this is true and what REALLY needs doing to fit a 2" lift kit???

If I ever get it back from Landrover Main Dealer Hospital, that is............................... Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

A Pro-comp 2" lift kit should not require changes to steering gemoetry or propshafts - if it does send it back nad get one of the ones that doesn't - speak to

or look for Old Man Emu stuff which I think Famous Four in Lincolnshire do.

As far as the springs dis-locating goes, well on my 90 they used to do that with standard springs on extreme terrain so thats no surprise. You can either get some proper cone shaped retainers from Scorpion Racing or use the old fashioned way of using some big jubilee clips which works just as well.

Just out of interest, what are you hoping to achieve by fitting the lift?

Reply to
Exit

I was hoping to get a bit more ground clearance, but not sure if it really is worth it.

anyone want to buy a brand new set of springs, shocks and bushes plus new braided brake pipes???

Dave Td5 Still poorly with TEST BOOK none the wiser............................. Mind you, not a surprise when it took my dealer 3 weeks to find out why my drivers window on my 2 month old Td6 Vogue kept opening itself!!

Reply to
Foxhunter

Unless the Pro Comp kit is vastly different from the OME gear, you don't really need dislocation straps. And you won't upset the geometry. I think your chap doesn't know much about suspension lifts. Are you sure he's not thinking of the "extreme" type a la Scorpion Racing?

With mine, it was simply a case of changing all 4 shocks and springs, 1/2 day's work, job's a goodun. I'm not technically minded either, but it wasn't difficult. You will almost certainly need spring compressors though.

But, remember you WON'T get any more ground clearance, unless you put bigger tyres on as well!

David. (Disco)

Reply to
David French

A 2" lift will give you no extra ground clearance all it does is lift the body higher. The ground clearance is limited by the distance from the axles to the ground and a lift does not alter that unless you also fit higher tyres.

Reply to
Exit

Reply to
Foxhunter

Bigger wheels and tyres are ALWAYS worth it! :-)

(but then, I'm biased).

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

What size could I realistically go up to the using a 2" lift??

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

The fact is that a lift is pointless without taller tyres! You should be able to go up to 33/34" high tyres without too much trouble but then you hit a big problem - your gearing is now too high. So really you need the lift, the bigger tyres *AND* either lower ratio diffs or a lower ratio transferbox. Unless you get all three parts, it's a bit of a waste of time.

Bet you wish you'd never bothered now! :)

Reply to
Exit

The 2" lift won't improve ground clearance under the axles however it will improve: Approach angle (useful if your winch bumper sticks out further forwards) Breakover angle Departure angle (less risk of damaging the back corners if you're doing extreme stuff) keeps everything 2 inches higher when wading can hit obsticles with more momentum without bottoming out It'll look the part :)

All suspension lifts will affect handling as as the suspension goes out (raises) the front axle rotates on the radius arms which affects the castor angle of the steering giving twitchy handling, the more it's lifted, the more pronounced the effect. I understand offset radius arms or bushes can correct this.

Standard propshafts are fine unless you're doing extreme stuff.. to check, jack up the entire front end or back end (suspension topped out) and try turning the propshaft, if it binds you'll need wider yoke propshafts. This is because some shocks have more travel allowing the axle to drop further than the standard shocks allow. Dislocation straps can limit maximum axle travel (although useful if you need to change a tyre).. you'd be better with dislocation cones.

Only other downside is higher centre of gravity so be very careful on the sidehills or carrying heavy / high loads.

Hope this helps.. Tom V8 90 (+3" lift, ARBs, winch, cage, etc..) Pic:

Tom Gilmour

Maybe I should have just stuck with the basic Td5 Hardtop as it

Quite

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Reply to
Foxhunter