Re: ROT: Dogs, dogs, dogs

You have to make the lead a good thing.

Aye.

> Decided to get a choke chain to train him to walk on a lead. > > Only of any use if they are slack. It's the noise of them that does > the job, not the tension.

Yep, no good if the dog is constantly pulling, as you often see. That isn't what you want. Keep the choke chain slack and when he does pull a sharp jerk to pull him back but straight away the chain is slack again. He'll soon get the message that pulling is not a Good Idea and that walking nicely with a slack chain is. You may feel you are constantly jerking the chain to begin with but dogs are not stupid and will learn.

He'll be rather disoriented - owner gone, all familiar surroundings > gone, food has probably changed, all routine is shot. But you are > being good to him and feeding him, so he's damned if he's going to > let you go. Fair play really.

Yes, he's doing his very best to please and is showing he really wants to be with you. Grovelling springs to mind.

Does he have areas which are 'out of bounds'?

Good idea decide now any areas that are no-go for the dog and stick with them. With all the other stuff, the lead and overly pleased, don't be to strict on keeping him out. But make sure that he his never allowed to stay in a no-go area, shoo him out, firmly if required, I wouldn't shut a door on him at this stage but just repeatedly take him out of the no-go areas. When you do emerge, make a fuss of him, as a reward for waiting outside.

I'm afraid 1 week trials are convenient for potential owners,

A week also strikes me as too short for anything but the most placid and happy of animals to settle. I'd expect to see some improvement in a week but not a change to the well trained and obedient member of the family that one is aiming for.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Another thought - they only really work one way up as well... Without putting one on I can't actually work out which way it is though!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:49:05 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs scribbled the following nonsense:

well, he managed to make it through the night! Took him for a long walk again this morning, which he loved! Then we went to our club RTV. He curled up in the back of the disco, and was quiet all the way there and back. Introduced him to people one at a time and he got on okay. Barked at 3 kids that were there, till they fed him some chews, and then they were inseperable. At last he had a dump!

Certain looks he gives you make you think he has a bit of Labrador in him, especially the really floppy ears, and the face.

Shall be bringing him with us to the unofficial....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:36:43 +0000, Tim Hobbs scribbled the following nonsense:

apparently it was the old lady's choice

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:36:43 +0000, Tim Hobbs scribbled the following nonsense:

bedrooms, bathroom and lounge all no go for him.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

That's more than a week away! Trial period over?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

...and Simon Isaacs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Zulu's pretty good about bedrooms, and he's allowed in the lounge. However, if anyone goes for a quick pee without shutting the bathroom door properly, they soon find they have an audience. He levers the door open with his nose, sits politely, and just watches, utterly fascinated.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:33:57 +0000, Tim Hobbs scribbled the following nonsense:

swmbo says so!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

It's disconcerting, especially when the wet nose gets a little *too* close for comfort

Karen Gallagher

...and Karen Gallagher spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I won't tell you what he tries to do if I take a leak when we're outside, then...

Put it this way, I think he listened to Morarji Desai too much as a puppy.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

He's YOUR dog ....

...and Karen Gallagher spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Thank goodness he hasn't done that to me :-)

RB waffled on ....

Mmmm .... Zulu was obviously practising for when we get shipwrecked and we three have to survive in the dinghy ;-)

Reply to
Diane Brookman