RR axle oil seals and Speedi-sleeves

I have a continuing sealing problem on one axle that wants to leak more than the average LandRover designed amount. The original seals on my '75 RR were of the leather variety but I was never able to get new ones to work properly and this was probably due to the groove from the original. A couple of times I've tried double lipped rubber one's but the leak has returned again. In the past I have also tried to position the replacement seals to bridge the slight groove. Last time I looked, I didn't think that the groove was serious enough to warrant filling or machining out.

I'm trying to line up the correct parts before disassembly (again).

Two questions:

  1. From my parts catalogue the replacements are shown as either RTC3508 or
3511, but in my parts bin I have some that look like the particular part with a part number of GHS206. A web search seems to show these are a Hansa product for a LandRover so they could be correct. Long since forgotten where/when I got them and may even be too old to try them.

  1. How successful have people been with SKF Speedi-Sleeves to fix this problem, and if so what part number is applicable (rear axle is 35532837B) and does the flange on the sleeve have to be removed in this situation? Also, did you fit it dry or use a sealer/groove filler, and what type?

Thanks in advance

Phil (Aust)

Reply to
PhilD

I've done it successfully. It was rather a long time ago so details are hazy. The only difficulty that I recall was that the length of the sleeve was greater than the width of the journal so some trimming after installation was required.

I'm not sure about the flange but it may have to come off to allow the sleeve to be pressed on a bit further. I did take mine off but whether that was essential or not I can't remember.

I did use Loctite in the interface as a belt-and-braces measure. It's only a gap filler - just about any grade will do.

SKF part number? - don't know. Just measure it - there is a sleeve the right size in SKF's standard range.

I'm not sure that the hassle was worth it. I don't think that spindles are excessively pricey.

Reply to
Dougal

Can you not buy new leather seals?

I've only ever worked on series landrovers but I always use the leather hub seals where i can since they seal a lot better than the plastic ones.

Reply to
Tom Woods

The first time it failed (20+ years ago) I did first try a leather one, but even after soaking in oil for a full day in 30+ degC air temp it didn't work and I used the double lipped plastic one that I got at the same time.

Phil

Reply to
PhilD

Is this RR old enough to have the replaceable seal track? (sleeve 571742)

571742 may not still be available but it should be easy to get one made up.

The original leather seal was GHS190. 8mm thick. GHS206 was the replacement for the first 'rubber' seal GHS189. 11 mm thick.

Your local bearing supplier should be able to get you leather seals.

Reply to
Dougal