Re: Series 2.25 petrol running like a dog!

In article , snipped-for-privacy@false.email (Spozza) growled:

The engine is tending to stall at low revs, particularly when warm: I > adjusted the carb so that the idle stopper screw was running at LOTS of > revs with my foot off the throttle, so it stopped stalling. Mostly did > this cos it's one of the few adjustments I know how to make correctly :) > > There is slight popping and misfires at low revs, and the engine temp > reads higher than 1/2 way but not in the red (could be an eletrical, > don't know if I trust this). Starting the engine is usually accompanied > by a puff of white/grey smoke, does this indicate anything?

The last of these is just worn valve guide seals. A common problem. Oil drips down onto the top of the pistons when the engine is at rest and then burns off when you start up. Eventually you'll need to replace them.

As to the main problem, have you done the basics: checked the state of the air filter (I got mine full of water once), checked the points, changed the spark plugs lately, or at least checked their gaps, got enough oil and water?

Once you've done all that it's time to look at your timing, which I have a suspicion may be where the problem lies, but there's not much point in starting to set that until you've got all the basics right.

Reply to
Paul Oldham

OK.. thanks! sounds like one not for the faint hearted.

Yep, plenty of oil and water, Its recently had new rad + pipes so shouldn't be heating up so bad - I havn't checked the oilbath filter, but I'll nose it into my garage tomorrow and check that and points. It's had new leads and cap + sparkplugs, but I didn't gap up before fitting (oops).

I've got to agree, I think the timing is aproximately right only! Tomorrow my list of jobs now reads

1) check oil bath filter (might as well clean + change oil too) 2) Check the spark plug gaps (gotta go buy a feeler gauge now) 3) Check the points over + adjust and clean (above will be handy) 4) Engine oil and filter (never done this, I'm sure its overdue..)

One little point concerning adjusting the dizzy to make it spark at the correct place - I quote from Mr. Haynes

"first ascertain No. 1 Piston is on it's compression stroke, remove the front cyl spark, stick your finger in that hole, and get a friend to turn the engine with the starting handle until pressure is felt on the finger"

Two little problems

1) I have no starter handle 2) I have no friends

I could shove a biro in the hole and watch it come up I guess, but is there a good way to turn the motor over by hand without a handle?

Sorry to ask stupid questions - I'm learning all the time :) Dan

Reply to
Spozza

In article , snipped-for-privacy@false.email (Spozza) growled:

It's a while since I've had to do it (cos I *do* have a starter handle ;-)) but a big spanner on the alternator pulley nut should work so long as the fan belt is tight. From that position you should also be able to bring it up slowly and, as you say, use whatever you've got available to see the piston rise. Be *very* careful not to use something that could end up in the cylinder: you really don't want to have to take the head off unnecessarily ;-)

Reply to
Paul Oldham

Well, I did the job today, turned out that the dizzy was just about shot, the little wires inside corroded and knackered, lots of metal filings inside. Handy I had a spare disrib to go in - runs much better now.

I did the sparks and the points and the air filter and an oil change, I'm a slow worker and I was at my mates farm for hours in full sun, I'm now paying for this with my diablo-red face and neck!!!

Pleased that I sorted one little job, but about 1 mile from home, the temp gauge and fuel gauge decided to pack in - loose earth on the dash I assume, ho hum does it ever end?

Peas on earth! a Happy, knackered and sunburned Spozza :)

Reply to
Spozza

Nope, never!

But it's a good feeling to be able to tick off one box on the list of woes isn't it?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

There is a voltage regulator behind the dash pannel which brings the voltage from a wandering 12 to 14 volts to 10.4 volts so the guage sits still..may be this or it's live feed seeing as both guages have gone down. They actuallt earth through there senders.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D