2.25 Petrol 3brg/5brg - Identify?

Anyone tell me how to identify a 3brg and a 5brg 2.25 petrol lump? Is there a way to tell from the outside, or do I have to check the engine number and look it up somewhere?

TIA

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Have a google thru this newsgroup's past postings - this subject has been covered ad nauseum.

Reply to
EMB

Five bearing has prominent reinforcing ribs on the outside of the crankcase, absent on the three bearing. JD

Reply to
JD

The five bearing engine is red in colour.

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

As far as I know the 5 bearing is painted red and the 3 bearing is blue.

Reply to
Larry

If - a) it has not been repainted b) there is any paint left JD

Reply to
JD