Re: Service Engine Light

Anyone know an easy way to turn the service engine light off without a = fault

>computer? > >Dennis >

It's been awhile since this question was asked and the answers may not = have changed but I thought I'd try anyway. I have an appointment with LR Service to look into why the Service Engine Soon light is illuminated. Unfortunately because of service dept backlog, it'll be a week before = they can check it out. The service rep thought it was not urgent since the light is not flashing. The vehicle in question is a 2003 4.6L V8 = Discovery with 180 miles. We picked it up on Saturday and the problem occurred yesterday.

I am surprised that there is not some way to check for an error code = and/or reset the warning light. We had an '86 Cadillac where the operator could easily do this but the cause of the warning light was remembered.

Thanks,

lorendi

Reply to
<lorendi

Under UK law I would advise the dealer that he has 1 hour to sort it out or I would reject the vehicle under the Sale of Goods Act. If I was in a good mood I would give them 2 hours.

I think US consumer laws are better than UK ones, so I would do a web search to find out your rights and then use them. Stay calm and rational, but leave the dealer in no doubt that they have to sort it right now.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Tim, =20

I appreciate your suggestion but have a good relationship with the dealer that I don't wish to destroy...yet. I'm perfectly calm, only a little annoyed that there is not an operator's reset for the warning light.

The Service Engine Soon light may have been triggered by a slightly loose gas cap. The service rep said that even though the fault no longer = exists, the SES light will continue to illuminate until reset by LR service.

I was just curious if anyone had any luck with resetting it themselves, e.g. by disconnecting the battery. But since it is a brand new vehicle, I'm reluctant to screw around too much.

Thanks,

lorendi

Reply to
<lorendi

Resetting the light is a matter of plugging the machine in and pressing a few buttons. 5 minutes maximum, which begs the question why your dealer can't be bothered to do this for a customer who has just spent thousands of dollars. I would be very wary of setting the tone for your future relationship with this dealer - if they can fob you off for a week before doing a simple job on your car then how much are they going to mess you about in servicing and all other future stuff.

I had a problem with a Ford dealer a while back, and after writing to Ford Customer Service and the Managing Director of the dealership the 'hard to source' missing part miraculously arrived the next morning and was fitted immediately.

Keeping friendly is OK, but it sounds like it's a bit one-sided here.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Stick some tape over the dial where the lamp shows, no hassle just peel off when fixed.

Cheap and simple

Reply to
TL

Update...

I'd left the Sales Manager a voice mail about our problems and I got a = call from him last night. He was very concerned about our problems and noted that waiting a week for service on a brand new vehicle was not = acceptable, regardless of service department backlog.

We took the car in this morning and have a new Discovery for a loaner. = We expect to get the car back tomorrow.

I do not bend very far as a consumer. I have done a fair amount of = letter writing in my time and even gone into arbitration with Chrysler over poor brakes on a '97 Jeep Cherokee. I was unsuccessful in achieving an = extended warranty on the brakes but I think I made a point.

Thanks for the good advice!

lorendi

Reply to
<lorendi