Classic engine upgrading to TD5

For those of you who are into keeping the classic RR alive, I have transplanted successfully a TD5 defender engine married to a 4.6HSE autobox into a 1990 Range rover. The fit is as near to perfect as one might expect the only serious alterations are to the engine mounts, and the electrics, the Aircon is a challenge but mamageable with some perseverance!

should anyone want further details am happy to provide!

Peter

snipped-for-privacy@dial.pipex.com

Reply to
***********************

Always interested.... if not for the Rangie then maybe for the 101.

Does the engine bolt up to the autobox bell housing?

Does the torque converter bolt to the TD5 flywheel or were any mods needed????

Was the TD5 from an Auto or a manual (which may be explained in any answers to the above.

What sort of Mpg do you get and how is the power? I understand the tdi's mated to autos are a little on the flat side....flat and 101 Ambi if I was to go down this route aren't really two compatible options.

Cheers

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

last one of these I heard of used the matching auto trans. I'd be wary of the HSE box, only because I'd rather have had the shift patterns mapped out to suit the TD5.

BTW, you can't use the classic's trans- can't remember why

"Lee_D"

Reply to
Kieran McCoey

H'mmm no reply...ah well!