Re: Stalling , electrical or fuel delivery?

I will most likely replace the coil (cheap enough) to be sure. Also, I wanted to note that it never stalls while in park, idling. Does the fuel pump put out the same pressure continously regardless of the acceleration amount? If so, it seems that it would act up occasionally at that time as well. thanks for the info

joe myers

This happened on my 1987 RR efi > > Replaced fuel pump, filter, ht leads, dizzy, cap, and arm. Turned out to be > the ignition coil. > > > > Ok, > > I've been battling this problem since I bought the truck. > > Very intermittant stalling ( bogs down, but still runs very slow and > > gives off burnt fuel smell while chugging). Occasionally it dies > > completely. Always starts right back up fine and run well. Sometimes > > happens a lot during the day, sometimes not at all. Ther seems to be > > no common reason. Happens in hot or cool weather. check engine light > > comes on. I have checked and replaced the spark plugs and HT leads, > > fuel pump wiring harness, and fuel filter. I have looked at the > > connections, coil and most wiring under the bonnet and it all looks > > good) > > I am trying to determin if this is fuel related or electrical. I am > > about to replace the fuel pump but would like to know if a fuel pump > > would behave intermittantly for so long. the fuel smell on chugging > > leads me to believe it is fuel related? I know this has been addressed > > before but any help would be great. > > > > joe myers > > 1992 3.9efi
Reply to
joe myers

Hi Joe,

my 3.9 started playing up in much the same way yesterday, so, for the princely sum of £22.17 I chucked a new coil on her today, and so far (touch wood) so good.

To be honest, for what they cost, change the coil anyways

Si

Reply to
Simon K

Well, it's not the coil. Died twice today, and once stalled but seemed to behave as if it was getting spurts of fuel. Cleaned the stepper motor and now i believe I'll just put in a new fuel pump. It being my last resort. Of course I'll just put in the pump with the old housing and sender. After that I'll be stumped.

joe myers

Reply to
joe myers