Re: Wet Rovers

> Good to see that we are getting some press!

Slumming it a bit (daily mail) but a good shot, although I suspect the two Defenders wading through the water aren't rescuing any damsels in distress!

Ian Rawlings

I always love the look of onlookers at stuff like that...

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

It's a shame some dork thinks they're Range Rovers! Check the filename on the file.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

It's the Range rover they are recovering --- unfortunately the Rangie is in the deep end. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah yes, the "journalists" and photographer are in the range rover, which has conked out because someone spilt their pimms on the CD player!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's the bow wave that worries me in both these shots, I know it's the way to do it but what damage did they cause under the circumstances? I bet those onlookers got wet in the first and imagine you are trying to keep water from your house when the wave in the second photo hits.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

The reason a lot of roads were blocked in East Yorkshire on Monday was people trying to go through floods far too fast.

I saw several saloon cars broken down in the middle of easily passable small floods and saw several people going through such floods far too fast.

I also saw loads of people in big 4x4's, usually a BMW or the new Volvo, playing silly buggers and going far too fast...

My understanding is that you only need to create a 'bow wave' if you're in more than three feet of water and need to keep your air inlet above the water level.

On the other hand I saw plenty of abandoned cars blocking roads that could have easily forded the floods they'd refused to attempt.

Reply to
William Black

If you look at the first photo, the pople in it are paddling and messing around with boats, so I suspect they did get wet!

No way for us to tell given that we can't see what's to the side or in front of them in the second one, most people aren't so daft as to shunt water into people's houses so I think the benefit of the doubt is worth giving. The signposts suggest they're on the edge of a residential area with it behind them, and it looks like they're driving down into a dip.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's a killer of turbo cars too supposedly, due to the hot exhaust manifolds going ping and breaking when the water hits it due to cars being driven too fast through water. Probably only a problem on petrol performance cars though.

Way back in 2001/2002 or whenever we last had nasty floods in the Reading area, I came across a modern van stuck in water due to the driver going too fast, that's what he said anyway, water wasn't that deep, a foot and a half perhaps. Drove up behind him in the landy and shoved him out of the water onto dry land just using my bumper on the rear step of his van. Couldn't see through the water so didn't want to drive around him, not being able to see ditches, bollards etc is the real hazard with driving through flooded roads.

It's quite hard not to create a bow wave, happens even at twice-walking pace, although I did notice that my landy creates much more of a wave than the pinz does, presumably due to that honking great big beam axle shoving the water along ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

At least they didn't call it a Jeep!

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Progress eh ;-)

They also didn't call them "gas-guzzling 4x4s" for a change. One of the most childish, pathetic buzz-phrases in living memory.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Not this week.

This week they are 'hardy and flexible agricultural vehicles rescuing people'.

Next week they'll be 'evil gas guzzling monsters' again, and they'll blame the floods on them as well, just you wait and see.

Reply to
William Black

As I said bow waves and bow waves...

That Police driver needs some "education". Why on earth did he accelerate so fast into the flood *after* stopping on seeing it? If he'd just gently trundled forward they'd have got through without any trouble.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nah you can't teach common sense!

If it wasn't costing the rate payer it would be funny but as a rate payer it's bordering on criminal. Better to get there a bit late than not at all, given they all got soaked they'd have been wisest to kill the engine and push it through from the start. All these euroboxes seem to have such low air intakes I'd not do it if it were my own motor.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:53:48 -0500, Bob Hobden wrote (in article ):

I didn't think the bow wave was supposed to be that large. I thought it was supposed to be a small bow wave.

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck