Re: Will Billing be as good

Is Billing on this year?? I thought the whole thing had moved to Kelmarsh???!!! And I think Kelmarsh looks excellent, much bigger!! Dan.

Billing or Kelmarsh ?? > > Both are on the same days !!!!!!! > > > >
Reply to
NTL News

On or around Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:13:17 GMT, "NTL News" enlightened us thusly:

's all feckin' daft. There are going to be *two* shows within about 10 miles of eachother.

Personally, I reckon everyone should decline to go to any of 'em as a comment on the lunacy thereof.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

On or around Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:13:17 GMT, "NTL News" enlightened us thusly:

meant to add:

the LRO show at Malvern, which has been an excellent show, is NOT happening, which is a major bummer.

pity some of the folk who've been complaining for years about Billing didn't make the trek to Malvern this year, I reckon.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

Are the two shows LRO or is Billing one different?? Kelmarsh id definately LRO...... Dan

Reply to
NTL News

er, Billing is LRM, grabbing the site that is vacated by LRe, who are going to be at Kelmarsh

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

E, O, M......its all the same really....???

Reply to
NTL News

Has anyone ehard where the main traders are going yet?, that's the big issue for me. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Let's get this clear -- the Land Rover enthusiast (LRe) show that has been at Billing for many years has moved to Kelmarsh Hall. The organisers say that they were getting increasingly poor service from the venue, with less space, deteriorating facilities and a worrying lack of decent security -- little kids from the neighbourhood roaring through the exhibition site on mini-quads etc. Deciding that they had gone as far as they could go at Billing, they have moved the show (pretty much lock, stock & barrel) to Kelmarsh Hall, where a fresh start should be a great opportunity to get things 'even righter'.

Another magazine has seen an opportunity and rushed to claim the same weekend at Billing, trying dubiously to promote it as 'The Billing Show'. It will only be 'The Billing Show' insofar as it will involve Land Rovers at Billing -- there will be nothing else familiar, and as most of the established exhibitors have eagerly followed the original organisers to Kelmarsh, it's hard to imagine what will be there to see and do.

And (as LRe has said) anyone else trying to promote a show at Billing will almost certainly be facing the same problems with the venue as they did. So go figure!

GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Depends on whether you believe the web site or not.

Click on "The Trade"

Reply to
Rob

Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I think we've done Billing twice and on both occasions it was only for a day.

We would have been at Malvern but the Gods were well and truely against us.

If any one is really that fanatical then get camping and do both?!? Billing has a footpath right through and never charges for entrants on foot IME.

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

SURELY there´s a demand for a show in the North of England. I´m fed up of commuting to the midlands or the fens

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

What about France eh? Decent sized showground, and all the Land-Rover owners in the COUNTRY s=could come! :)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Well when I look at the lists of attendees of both sites I see that all the clubs have gone to Kelmarsh BUT most of the well known traders are staying at Billing and 11 traders are being claimed to be at both !. Certainly the traders who I spent my money with at Malvern last year are all at Billing, so on the face of it there will be lots of vehicles to see at Kelmarsh but little else, unless of course the club members decide not to blindly follow the club leadership...

I can't help but wonder if you've some personal or financial interest in the Kelmarsh show?

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Agreed, I would be back to Malvern this year instead of the guessing game that is to be the Billings weekend.

A good point, although Malvern seemed pretty busy to me so I was very surprised it was pulled. Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around 8 Jan 2007 06:00:43 -0800, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

I suspect they were disappointed in the numbers for the second year. First year you reckon on not getting a good turnout, but as an organiser I imagine you're looking for more numbers on the second one, and I don't reckon they got them. Pity, I reckon it was a damned good show. I also like Eastnor, which is not of course sepcifically LR now, but is a good show.

I have to admit to a bias for the ones that are easier (for me) to get to, but in reality if you;re trying to cater for everyone you're pretty much bound to end up in the midlands somewhere. Ask Rich Brookman how far it is from him to Malvern...

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

It was an interesting quote from them "We talk frequently with readers and the Land Rover trade, and the message from you is a clear one there are too many shows."

Rob

Srtgray uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well make it close to the Spanish border around Early August and we'll be there ;-)

Reply to
Dr_D

Greg asked of me

Alright, to a certain extent I may have, because I write very occasional pieces for LRe as that's the mag that I happen to prefer as a reader. As a result I've read more of their 'pitch' re Billing than that of the other mag(s). I also respect the integrity of the editorial staff, and if they say that the venue was getting untenable and the trade are generally following them, I'm prepared to believe them.

If that makes me biased, then so be it. I happen to agree that an equal show in the north of England would be a wonderful thing -- and how do you think the Scots and N.Irish feel? -- but accept that the majority of the potential visitors will be within easy reach of the English Midlands. That's the curse of living in a long, thin country!

GRAEME ALDOUS, Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

I'm not contesting whether the venue was getting untenable, I really wouldn't know and to be honest it's not my problem. However, their published list of traders does not include many of the big names and Bilings' does so I don't see how they can continue to claim the trade have stuck with them, though the clubs clearly have.

Does anyone know if the 11 exhibiters who are claimed to be attending both are really going to man stands at both shows or is someone telling porkies?.

Me too, the drive from the Yorkshire coast is a bit of a drag. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Greg uttered summat worrerz funny about:

One of our few visitors to the Unofficial in October was Alan Hughes who bought his 101 GS over from Ireland. It cost him a fair few quid and is the reason he doesn't attend anything further in land with the petrol costs as well.

Would somewhere the likes of Tatton park be Up'North enough? Or perhaphs Co'Durham way?

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D