rear axle defender 110 september 2002

Hello,

I have some problems with the rear axle of my 110. When I'm comparing the service doc and the actual parts, I'm thinking landrover has mounted a 90 rear axle under my 110. The building (or birth...) of the landrover was september 2002, and in my believe has the 90 a round type rear axle, and the 110/130 a sort of pressed one with nuts on the edges. (salisbury?) My 110 has the round, 90 type fitted (same as the front axle) Before I go to the dealer, anyone aware of this "anomalys", or where just the rear axles out of stock in september 2002?

greetings from Holland,

Tjalf

Reply to
Tjalf

The 110 and the 130 was fitted with the Salisbury axle, because it can carry more wheight.(I was told) The Salisbury axle can be identified by looking at the axle from the rear of your vehicle. It has a bolt-on cover at the rear. The "hump" in the middle as a casting with the torque tubes pressed into the ends. The "hump" is a lot bigger than that on the front axle.

The Rover axle was fitted to the 90 and looks very similar to the front axle. It has no bolt-on cover at the rear, and the axle is made up of welded pressed steel.

It sounds like your Landy is fitted with the incorrect rear axle, unless Land Rover has changed the specification.

Reply to
Hans

From mid 2002 Landrover standardised the rear axles on Defenders. They have deleted the Salisbury axle and the Rover axle and replaced them with a DANA axle. It looks like the old rover as fitted to a 90, but has a shorter "nose". Take the axle number to your dealer and they should get the correct parts for it. All the best, Giles

Reply to