Renewing oil :-((

Anybody ever forgotten to replace the sump plug before adding new oil ?

JoH

Reply to
Hirsty's

Not me, But i have done an oil and filter change and didn't check that the rubber ring came off with the old filter. Put in expensive oil and new filter started it up,What a mess,What a waste,What a d*****ad!!. And the only bung i have forgotten to replace,Was the drain plug on my boat. Say no more.

Reply to
bones

Oh yes! Checking the dipstick wondering why it isn't filling up, suddenly remembering - checking underneath and seeing the nice new oil pouring out all over the drive! Only done it the once tho!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

I didn't realise how far out the oil shoots from a Disco sump plug and missed the collecting vessel completely!

Now I use a sucker thing for 3 changes and get the garage to do the fourth.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Yep been there I was certain I'd removed old ring I was out marshalling a night rally and I used a gallon and a half of oil ( Mini ) next day pulled off filter bowl dug around with a thin screwdriver and found another two rings bedded in previous owners revenge I reckon Derek

Reply to
Derek

Yep - done it with a large truck, and had 20 litres of oil on the floor before I noticed.

Reply to
EMB

Yes - and the container underneath did not hold two sump fulls. JD

Reply to
JD

Oops ! I dont feel such an idiot any more, hope the fishing was good :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

Similar thing happened to me - I was doing my wifes car when the postman turned up with a recorded delivery parcel just as I undid the sump plug. I stuffed the collecting canister under the running oil, signed for the parcel and went back under the car to see oil pouring right over the top of the canister and running down the road - oops! Fortunately I had a large bag of sand in the garden to soak it up. Next time I'll put a large tray under it too! Did save going down to the tip tho :-)

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

In a similar vein I read about one guy who drained his diff, only to find that the filler plug was completely knackered and therefore not undoable. Always worth checking you can get the filler off before you undo the drain, especially on a newly-acquired vehicle.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yes, but the worst was using a pressure brake bleeder and deciding the caliper was stuffed so grabbing the spare from the van and spannering off the hose.... Brake fluid makes up for lack of quantity by the real quality of the mess it makes when sprayed in your face.

Oh the fun of bike racing at a one day meet. The serious faults always appear in free practice and you're first race is at 9.30

I should say "I don't miss it" but I do

nigelH

***
Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Does this count too?

Soldering a 108 pin multiconnector and forgetting to first put the housing on the cable...

Timo

Reply to
Timo Wildschut

Putting a crank back into an engine after replacing all the bearings, torquing it all up, only to find that step 10 in the workshop manual has to be done before step 2....

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If you had a Series 11 like mine you'd never change the oil - it leaks at an appropriate rate. Ditto for using the dipstick - no need, when the driveway dries out it's time to top up again :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

I've done that!. I now check that i can get the filler plug off anything before draining it!

Rather than being a 2 minute job, it took me a couple of hours to chisel the round filler plug off and i was stuck at home with an empty diff while i did it.

The level plug on my gearbox was also stuck, but i found this before draining it and used to do it through the top cover instead. It was still a job getting that out after i took the gearbox out!, took a lot of heat and hitting!

Reply to
Tom Woods