LT35 sump removal

Hi- i am just about to replace my sump on LT35 2.4D 1995- just been told that it is not possible without raising the engine or disconnecting gearbox!- would have thought the cunning germans would have made it easier than that! Just wondering if anyone can give any advice before i start undoing bolts Thanks in advance

regards Mike

Reply to
Mike

On the old MK2 Golfs there was a plate you had to remove to get at the last few sump bolts. OTOH it sounds like there's a crossmember or subframe directly under the sump to me...

Reply to
Doki

I know that on Sprinters, you need to raise the engine to physically get the sump out. Plus I think you also need to drop the anti-roll bar and unbolt the steering rack.

I can't imagine there being that much difference on an LT, even though it is a different engine.

Reply to
moray

Had a look in the diesel engine manual for the 6 cyl 2.4 litre DW engine. It says this: REMOVING AND INSTALLING SUMP: Too remove the 2 rear securing screws, turn flywheel so the recesses are pointing directly down.

That's all it says.

Reply to
Graham

Hi- thanks for the replies- theres nothing about it in the vw lt repair operations files either- and as i understand that is what vw main dealers use when they price a job- and i would be surprised if they would miss an opportunity to add to the bill! (it has times and prices for stirring your paint and going to get rags to clean up- but not lifting the engine to change a sump!?!)- which is what made me wonder initially-i am going to get i up on a ramp tomorrow- so should know one way or another then

regards Mike

Reply to
Mike

Did you have any success? Just curious as I also own a LT van.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Hi- yes its done- engine had to be lifted- and it still wasn't that easy!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Out of interest, what caused the problem that needed the sump replacing. As you know there is massive ground clearance on the LT, for which I am thankful as so far not needed to jack it up when working on underside. I can only imagine a sump getting damaged by bashing it on something, but with the

12 inch clearance that is difficult to square. Just curious.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

Hi graham no damage- just corrosion from the inside out- one day it was fine the next day it sprung a (large) leak and dumped the entire contents of the sump onto the drive- it looked fine from the outside - but you could literally poke a finger through the metal- it was so corroded regards Mike

Reply to
Mike