Repalcing Rear Disks

Hi

I need to replace the rear disks on an early Discovery, other than the disks themselves what other bits will I need.?

TIA Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You'd need a drive flange gasket and a tab washer each side. If you're careful and don't let hub drop as you pull it of the stub axle you will probably not damage the hub seal - some people relace it as a matter of course, some don't. Mind you, Sod's Law says the seal will stick to the stub axle shoulder and tear anyway ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks Richard, how much are the seals ?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Just remember that you will need a old style socket to remove the calipers and the disc from the hub. (ie not a hex drive and not those jobbies that drive the flat side of a nut.) They are probably 12mm and

13mm or similar, at least I used metirc sockets but they could be imperial.

try to make sure you get the nuts loose first time as I would image you would battle once the nut starts getting shagged.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Thanks for the advice.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

This is particularly true for the caliper bolts. Mess the heads of these up before they are loose and you are in deep do-do! The socket must be a good tight fit, even to the extent of having to be hammered on. If the bolts are badly corroded this could mean a socket the next size down. Have a look at the bolts before you start the job - you might want to have replacements to hand.

Got a big box spanner - 52 mm A/F for the bearing nut?

Reply to
Dougal

Hi Jeff, where about are you - UK? if you are local to me (merseyside) i can give you the tools and a hand

Scott

Reply to
justtherightm

I have a wry smile now.... do they actually have tools in Merseyside for wheel removal? I've a vision that many Scousers have jobs on pit crews in F1

Who's bringing the bricks?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

TOOOOOOO right... my worest mechanical moment and expenditure was with a snapped caliper bolt. I now have lots of tools I'll probably never use again. Engineering drill bits, now drill, tap and die set (came in handy a few times) Helicoil kit for a most odd size thread it is too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Got progressively down to 10mm bi-hex on a caliper bolt once, that and an impact driver got the barsteward! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

£1.74 inc VAT for the "G" (Corteco) version, £0.73 for the other (Britpart)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks for the offer, but I am down on the South Coast!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

At that price I think it has got to be replace!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

On or around Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:19:51 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

given the price of seals and the amount of work involved, replacing it if it's an original seems a good plan. Good point - I'll be doing that job on our disco before long.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:11:45 +0200, fanie enlightened us thusly:

13mm 12-point. You need, IME, a short one for the rear calipers and a long one for the front.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:01:35 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

If you want a tight fit for them, you want a 1/2" AF 12-point.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah, of course they have, they are all knock-off snap-on, super-silent in use (no noise to wake the owners) wheels off and bricks under in just under

9.2 secs.! It would make Schumacher proud! but alas - i'm no scouser. Im a jock....i only live down here 'onest officer. Oh thats your tongue in your cheek?....i thought you were just happy to see me :-)

Scott

Reply to
justtherightm

Ohh the south coast, nice n sunny, sea breeze, lovely sands... well....i don't see an offer for 2 weeks board and lodging then hint hint. I have 3 kids a missus, 3 dogs and a cat. And yes, they all fit in the RR :-) no worries mate, if you were local we could have had it repaired in a few hours

Scott

Reply to
justtherightm

Very hot and muggy at the moment, with rumbles of thunder!!

I won't be attempting it for a couple of weeks yet; just getting prepared, and sorting out what bits I need so I don't get caught out when I start (I hope).

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Nope - can't get them to put fuel in, they instinctively syphon it out...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs