Retro-fit air suspension

It is not only possible but readily available as a kit.

Adam I told you about it. I saw the car at Billing last July (our stand of the CT owners Club was next to his) and was really impressed with it.

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Sligthly harsher in feel when the system is fully blown up but apart from that no serious shortcomings. Just impressive suspension travel.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Maybe this is all impossible, but I have an idea.

I apologise to those who read the earlier postings on height of Defenders.

Is it pssible to retro-fit an air suspension to a Defender? Would it be possible to let the suspension down long enough to get it into the garage under the upandover door? Would the engine pump it up again (like an old citroen)?

Probably a stupid idea but maybe possible.

(remove the nospam stuff to reply direct)

Thanks!

Reply to
SE London

Not stupid at all IMO - a pragmatic solution to an identified problem.

Everything is possible, but whether this is economically viable is another question. A friend has retro fitted Range Rover air suspension to his 101.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:15:40 -0000, "SE London" enlightened us thusly:

all things are possible, but some may not be practical.

the suspension would/could have a height control, so that's not a problem.

basically, I would say you probably can, but I seriously doubt it's worth it and it'd probably be cheaper to raise the garage roof 6".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:52:51 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

bugger, something else to save pennies for.

not silly money, at around a grand, it seems. maybe when I get around to replacing the chassis in a few years...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thank you gentlemen.

Although the garage is frrehold it is in the middle of a row of thirteen. I actaully own garages 4,5,6 and therefore in theory I could raise No.5 without impinging on others' roofs. But I'm sure I'll be very unpopular!

Besides with a bit of luck I can sell one of the garages, and no prizes for gusssing what's in my mind!

Reply to
SE London

Yep. As well as the OgdenAir system mentioned previously, you can DIY it for a bit less $$ using Rangie bits. A guy in the club I'm in has fitted it to a 90 using a mix of Rangie bits and home made bits, and it seems to work quite well (he managed to win the RTV trial we had today in it, so it can't be too bad). One issue you'll come across is where to fit the front shockers, but the way round this is simple - a set of dual shock turrets from someone like Matt Lee lets you fit a shocker and the air spring at the same time.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Was that the really kitted out Defender 90 with the TVR 4.6 litre V8 engine in it that was (I think) silver in colour? I remember the company were selling A-bars, steering protectors , rock sliders and the like but can't remember what they were called.

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Where, exactly, are you? (SE London could be South East London, or your name...)

Reply to
Mother

does anyone know how this alters the on road characteristics of a defender?

Reply to
JJ

south London, didn't you recognise the accent?

Reply to
SE London

But the tricky point is how tall is the vehicle when it's fully let down? Got to get below 1.85m

Reply to
SE London

That is going to be close - and probably on the wrong side of close. The overall height is, I think 2.050m (depends a bit on tyres) and the book lists the clearance axle to bump stop as 67mm - so with suspension right down leaves 1.983m, or about 120mm - which you would just about get by letting the tyres down! JD

Reply to
JD

Probably a silly question, but is it the up and over door that prevents entry, or the actual height of the opening?

Some years ago I had a 110 CSW that wouldn't fit under my U&O door but the opening was high enough. I replaced the door with a sectional fibreglass one that ran in a track. The beauty of this system is that the door runs up into the space between the top of the door opening and the roof, giving the whole height of the opening to fit the Landy in. An additional bonus was that the door also let a lot of daylight in, substantially reducing the need for artificial light in the garage. If this would solve your height problem, it would be a lot cheaper than the air-susp option.

Regards

Reply to
Martyn Cottrell

No, but being an Aussie, most of you Englanders sound the same to me. Not, that's not quite true, some are almost unintelligible. Don't get me started on Scots. 8-)

Ron

"SE London" wrote > south London, didn't you recognise the accent?

Reply to
The Becketts

Nuf said, no taste or culture (unless - of course, you happen to have Kylies phone number - in which case I'd be happy to share a tinnie wid'ya cobba...)

I think you may be somewhat mistaken - but it's sort of excused - you bein' ozzie and unedukayted an' all... BUT please try not to say Englanders, or - if you must, please do NOT follow it by mentioning anything to do with the country known as Scotland. I have these Bagpipes and I'm not afraid to use them... (For the sake of Global Peace, don't push me matey...)

Reply to
Mother

Twas Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:54:34 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Look out! Mother's going to 'blow off'!!

I couldn't resist...

coat on ...... hat on...... door open............

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.