routing

My favourite is the MGE ones, cheaper than APC but just as good, and at least as intelligent, maybe more so. They also write open-source linux drivers for "nut", which helps for me.

and
tend to trade cheapest prices, sometimes one will be cheapest for the floor-standing version where the other will be cheaper for the rack-mount.

I have an APC Smart-UPS 3000 in my rack at home (behind me right now in fact), when I get one of the other racks online I'll fit MGE I reckon as I'll be paying out of my own pocket this time and MGE are a better deal. My APC can power my rack for about 50 minutes, living out in the sticks, I need that!

Beware that APC have a serial port on the back labelled "serial", but if you plug an RS232 cable into it, it'll power off the load immediately. You need a specially wired cable. It's stupidity like that which makes me not like APC so much.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I've always been impressed with the APC ones. Used to run these ourselves (Smart range) and supplied loads to customers on our machines. Aside from the usual dead batteries after a few years, only ever had one that cause a problem and APC were *excellent* in after-sales support - very quick replacement with a brand new unit no questions asked, I just gave them the serial number.

Matt.

P.S. Don't ever buy replacement batteries from APC - we used to service ours with batteries from RS - exactly the same manufacturer and type but 1/4 of the price!

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Also rather good on the prices for battery packs. Not just for UPSes either, ipods, PDAs etc. I've had good service from them.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:31:31 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Result!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

These MGE ones seem to be line interactive, which I think means it is a "cut in jobby". I have a Liebert interactive and I blame it for corrupting a hard drive.

I too would like a 2000VA ups, the mains in -> float battery -> reform sinewave type but I assume there is a big efficincy trade off??

AJH

Reply to
AJH

You'r thinking of a "standby" UPS, they supply straight mains through a transfer switch which flips over to battery supply when the mains fails.

A "Line Interactive" UPS has a combined inverter and charger which will take power from either the battery or the mains. The inverter/charger is running all the time, and there's no explicit switch-over to battery, the inverer/charger just sort of takes whatever it can get, sort of like in a vehicle where you have an alternator and an engine, if the alternator can't supply enough then the battery power is used, but if the alternator is supplying enough then the battery recharges. There's no charge/discharge relays.

An "Online" UPS runs on battery all the time, with the battery being charged by the mains while also supplying power to the load. They tend to get hot due to energy wasted in the AC->DC->AC cycle so chances are it'll have a fan running full-time.

Harrumph, while trying to get some specifics on Delta types, I found a decent wikipedia page which says it all better than me, so a waste of typing..

Ian Rawlings

Do you have any idea where I can get servicing info for APC UPS "Smart

-UPS 2200 " perchance ?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Try the following line in a google search;

"Smart UPS 2200" filetype:pdf

A few promising links but I don't know exactly what you have, they do change the gear from time to time while keeping the name the same.

Note that if it's not working after a long time of not being used, try taking the batteries out and recharging them. Some of them power the intelligence from the batteries, so if the batteries are flat they won't power the relays up to engage the charger.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yep, but being in NZ it's prolly not a lot of use to you.

Reply to
EMB

'Twas. And today they improved the reult by deciding they'll pick up the tab for my mobile phone too. I can feel calls to afl members being made in the near future.

Reply to
EMB

Either that our they are dead! Sometimes you'll struggle to get them out because they have expanded so much! Best to keep a regular check on the internals if you are sensible - better to find out it's fubar before you actually have to rely on the unit for real!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Hell, if all else fails...

Steve

Reply to
steve

How the heck is a mormal user, without access to the right gear supposed to do that ?

Steve

Reply to
steve

The batteries are user-changeable, and are normally (in all the cases I've seen) 12 volt batteries that can be recharged sufficiently using a standard car charger on trickle charge. Sometimes they are joined together with a fused link to make a 24 volt pack, but you just unplug the link and charge each cell individually.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well obviously... Most UPSes (all the ones I have) do a regular self-test which runs the load on batteries for a few seconds, but with a line interactive UPS, if the batteries fail then the load does not get powered off. The UPS then starts shouting at you and you can often change the battery pack without powering off the load.

Recommended battery life is 3 years, cheap to replace if you don't buy from the manufacturer!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Would you like a job? Always got room for a customer facing tech with those negotiating skills :)

Reply to
William Tasso

In addition to the splendid post from Ian, there's this site:

Follow the links at the foot of each article for a brief discussion in plain English of each major 'type' of UPS

I blame Telecity/RedBus - you don't want to know how much we pay them for "un-interruptible" power that failed three times in quick succession last Friday. I'm still dealing with the hangover.

Online UPSs - generate a lot of heat making the conversions

Reply to
William Tasso

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:30:57 +0100, Matthew Maddock scribbled the following nonsense:

i've got an APC Smart BackUPS 500, bought about 8 years ago, battery still works, and stills gives me time to save my work and shut the PC down when there is a power outage. Seems to even out the spikes too, as it beeps on a spike. Bought it when I was at uni, as the power had a habit of tripping out easily due to some very sensitive trip switches in the halls of residence......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

You don't want me - I'm rude, arrogant and don't suffer fools gladly so I'm not really the most customer friendly animal to have on your staff.

We could however work out a deal for you to employ SMWBO - she's a lot more customer friendly than I am and it would be a bloody good result if I could export her 12000 miles away. :-)

Reply to
EMB

perfect - you'll fit right in :)

naughty