RRC Rear upper tailgate locks

RRC, 1991.

The tailgate lock has started to stop working when using the central locking. I can hear the 'clonk' as the tailgate lock activates with the central locking but it does not lock the upper tail gate, I can still open it by pressing the button.

All I have done is to adjust the tailgate striker plates for a more snug fit but this was done some weeks ago and I have not checked the lock since....would this cause a problem is the plates were slightly misaligned????

Does the tailgate central locking rely on the full closure, perhaps of each side locking mechanism???

Any advice would be gratefully received before i rip it all apart

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

In message , Alun P writes

From memory of an '89 model you understand:

The one I did needed minor adjustment as it didn't throw far enough from one position to the other - literally slacken the fixings and slide the entire mechanism left or right until it's ok. There is also a small spring (between the unit body and the glass) which causes a 'latching action' to the actuator arm - if this is broken or stretched the actuator may not rest in the locked position - again this was accessible without disassembly of the unit. I don't remember the mechanism relying on the location of the catches at all - it just stops the button being pushed onto the release plate by moving or rotating a 'blanking plate'. Could be the linkage itself has come adrift and not moving the plate or hopefully the back of the lock could do with a quick hit with some lubricant spray ?

FWIW At no point did I have to strip out the motor mechanism itself.

Reply to
AJG

Many thanks.

At least the hatch actually shuts OK and it is only the C/Locking that has decided to give up the ghost. Something has come adrift I recon as there is a rattle there where there wasnt one before!

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

So Alun P was, like

If it's only the C/L that's gone, it may well be the same problem I had. Tailgate latched and locked OK, but C/L only made a clicking noise. Turned out to be a flimsy plastic part which is not available separately from the lock. I tried to make one up out of alloy, but no luck. I even bought a new lock but still couldn't get the C/L to work - there's a mess of little bits in there and one vital spring whcih I could never get back the right way. I sold the car shortly after, so I never got to the bottom of it. If you do dismantle, do it slowly and take plenty of notes/photos.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I like repairs when they are this easy........

All it was...........the arm that is operated by the solenoid by pulling it in and out was sticking, a quick waggle and some WD 40....hey presto, the C/L works again.

Didnt realise how loose the lower hatch locks were though, tightening should cure a few rattles!

thanks for your assistance

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P