RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel

Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a repair panel, it doesn't look too big a job for someone who knows how to weld?

I need to take off the rear bumper anyway to replace it. Whilst I'm in there I'll have a good prod about the rear crossmember to check it's condition.

Anyone know if you can get one?

Ta

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Famous last words. It's a horrible job. The "official" method involves removing the roof, rear wings, and tons more, so you can replace the whole rectangular frame. Paddock (and others) sell a repair section (RR61) for about 38 quid, and you'll need bolts and mounting rubbers at about £13, but you still have to remove the lower tailgate, the rear floor, probably the fuel tank, and a few other odds and sods.

You then have to support the roof, to stop the rear body sagging while you hack away with the angle grinder. With the one I did, I also cut away part of the repair panel to make it easier to wiggle into position, but this may not be possible if yours is rusty too near the ends.

It's a foul job that makes doing sills and footwells seem fun.

The funny thing is, no-one selling a Rangey has *ever* known it needed doing. "Totally rust-free". "Er well, yes, apart from that".

Reply to
Autolycus

hehehe - it looks like it would patch pretty well to be honest in that case!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

it doesn't look too big a

I'll have a good prod about

Do you mean the crossmember that the tailgate hinges on? If so its :

NRC4717 RRC Tailgate Crossmember £39.95 inc VAT - quite a good seller!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

No matey, the thin metal surround bit. Tailgate aperture i suppose. I don't need the whole lot, just the bit around the boot lip & below. Might need a crossmember yet too!!

Nige

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

need the whole lot, just the

OK - how about the heelboard then! Thats the "stepped" bit that goes from the main rear floor panel down to the talgate "level"?

Failing that, how about a photo!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd