RRC Sudden loss of drive - ideas?

Hello

200tdi, LT77 and LT230T

Pulling away from a junction today, changed into 2nd and suddenly had no drive after a slight grunch.

It acts as in neutral - no attempt to move.

Prop shafts and UJ's fine.

With engine running all gears can be selected and I can hear wirring gears when clutch is released.

Tried hi/low and difflock with no effect.

I know that something has broke but can anyone indicate a stratagy to locate the problem or do I have to remove the gearbox and transfer box.

Last December I had them out replacing a worn release bearing (did the clutch as well)

All help appreciated

John

Reply to
Persheen

Are any of the propshafts turning? Get someone to look from the side while you are trying to drive it. If so, try again in difflock and also check hub drive flanges (depends which model/year). If not, it's probably done the splines in on the mainshaft/transfer gear combination, remove plate behind end of mainshaft on transfer box and see if shaft is turning inside gear, (it shouldn't). Or has it ripped the centre out of the new (cheap ?) clutch plate. Check in that order.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Are you sure it's the gears whirring, I had a clutch driven plate shed it's centre boss causing much the same symptoms.

Reply to
NM

LT77, i reckon the gearbox splines have let go.

Reply to
Nige

Thanks for the ideas. Not sure about the engine etc. suspect the lot is from a 91/92 Disco 1 ??

The propshafts are not turning. Hope it is not the clutch - it was from Paddocks. Will take the rear plate off the transfer box tomorrow.

John

Reply to
Persheen

mine did this two years ago. It jumped out of transfer gear, and the selector is held in place by a grub screw. Meant that the selector would not change gear even though the lever would move as normal. It wsas only becasue I was getting ready to drop the box and saw the schematic diagram and access plat that I saved myself shed loads of work.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Its broken!

In all seriousness, its almost certainly the mainshaft of the LT77

might I suggest looking at

Afterlooking at it quickly, looks like a rebuild if you do it yourself willbe about 220quid plus vat upwards, and 450quid for a recon box, andthat doesnt include anything to do with the transfer box. If you get stuck, i have a good LT77 and LT230 if you want a good second hand one!

Good luck!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

On or around Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:09:15 -0800 (PST), Dave R enlightened us thusly:

be aware that it's non-trivial to fit a disco gear lever to a range rover box. Guess how I know that?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is it 'cos you is black?

Reply to
Nige

Only after he finishes his day down t'mine.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:22:56 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

usually, it's fettling oily engines. although the lot here are impressively not-black, have to check if there's oil in 'em.

one of the blackest things I know is oil drained out of a diesel engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"NM" wrote................

I failed to leave it overnight, I was getting earache. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Neat washing up liquid scrubbed in a left for the weather to wash away works as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I tried the coke trick.

Utter bollocks.. or at least with Co-op Cola.

Proper coke is far to expensive to tip on the driveway.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Worked for me, not completely mind, but enough so I didn't get another bollocking, so it must have done summat. And I've never managed to get anything useful from the Co-op despite asking several times for stuff, all they seem to stock round here is bottles of wine, don't bother going in any more now.

Best place for it if you ask me. Yeeuk.

Martin

Reply to
Oily