S/S exhaust for P38a

As in an earlier post, the OE exhaust system on the RR is about to go West. I want a stainless system, I'd prefer a sports system, and the only ones I can find in the comics are labelled as "cat back", which I assume means the intermediate and tail pipes only, and not the manifolds and front pipes containing the cats.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations? How easy are they to fit (bearing in kind that the only special Land Rover tool in the workshop manual is a four-post lift)?

The Rimmer Bros advert shows straight tailpipes without any downturn. Has anyone fitted these, and do they clear the bumper at the back? The OE system lost one of the turny-down pieces (which basically blow the gases at the floor) and it melted the bumper and some of the wiring.

Thanks for anything useful.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Check

- they have SS systems

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

Hi, I've just fitted a cat back sports system supplied from Rimmers to my own '98 4.6 HSE. It's actually a Double S manufactured system, their stickers were still on it. It was fairly easy to fit, I just parked the car with two wheels on the curb, close to the edge, raised the suspension to high, and placed a couple of axle stands under the non curb side wheels. This gave plenty of room to work. Getting the old system off was the worst, as I had to cut through it due to rusted connections. New system dosen't follow the old route though, but does clear everything. Except for the rear bumper. The exit pipes are about 3.5 inches diameter, and straight. You'll need to cut the rear bumper, not hard to do, but spend time to do it neatly. I used a card template drawn round a half circle of about 4.75 inches diameter. They suggest a rectangular cut out, but a half circular one looks better. One thing to watch out for though, is the left hand rear silencer. It won't fit to the hangers, they're in the wrong place. There are extra ones supplied though (in case you've got a pre '96 car that had only one rear box) and you'll need to use these. Getting all the rubber hangers on is fun too!

Your original manifolds, down pipes and cats are made of stainless, and should last for many more years, unless the cat elements are knackered, though I have heard of the manifolds cracking?

I've not noticed any improvement to performance at all, but no detriment either. The sound is much better though! A quiet burble at tickover, and I now tend to drive with the windows open just to listen to it! It's not really noticable on motorway driving though.

Alan C

'98 4.6 HSE '74 109 "Smurf"

Reply to
cutlea01

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a S/S sports system from Rimmers yesterday - the only other one I could find on the web was from RPI, and that was 150GBP more when you take the VAT into account. I also did a Google search of this group for opinions - they seem roughly spread 50/50 between awful and terrific, with no middle ground, so I suppose I'll just have to be lucky. Reading the workshop manual, the job sounds easy, but IME it's never as simple as it sounds. I've already had to cut a semi-circle in one side of the rear apron (a field repair on a French campsite with a 3 euro hacksaw I had bought for something else) so I am happy to do a European Constitution (sorry, a "quick tidy-up job") on the other side. The game with the mounting rubbers sounds familiar - gallons of Fairy Liquid, then. I don't have a convenient kerb to drive onto, so I'll have to make do with setting the suspension to High and using a small bottle jack on the front diff before I climb underneath.

(Fellers, I'm joking.)

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hi Alan

Did the job yesterday, and it went exactly as you said. Raising the front on ramps to disconnect the centre box, then raising the rear to do the rest was quite adequate. Removing the old system was easy - the n/s pipes just fell away and the rest came out with a bit of juggling. The new bits went on without major problems. As you said, the rubber bits were awkward, but plenty of Fairy Liquid made it easier.

The best bit of advice I can add is - ask a mate over, preferably younger and stronger than yourself, with a decent set of tools (so you don't argue over the 13mm spanners). It took two of us about 3 hours in all, but on my own it would have been much longer - someone to hold stuff in position while the other one tightens things is almost essential.

The sound is mildly disappointing - a slightly burblier idle, and more of a throaty roar on acceleration (4000 rpm in second is particularly nice), but overall the effect is very subtle. Nothing like the RPI website introduction! I haven't noticed any improvement in performance, but like you no deterioration either.

The kit looks well-made and it all fits properly, so I'm pretty pleased. Those squat little tailpipes look great.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Glad my advice helped! Yup, I did forget to mention I had help, my little one year old boy kept wobbling the L/H tail pipe while I tried to tighten the clamps! Got the wife to hold it in the right place though, and tightened up fine. I do remember lying on my back though, holding the centre box with both hands my legs in the air with each foot securing a rear silencer each, then wondering how on earth I tighten the clamps. I was wondering if I could use my teeth!

Alan C.

Reply to
cutlea01

And feeling very vulnerable to a falling rear diff, no doubt ;-)

Two observations, having driven the car for a couple of days now: (1) the LH tailpipe needs realigning as since fitting it has slipped and is pointing slightly skywards, and (2) the noise and low-speed torque are much better. It was only when I had finished flooring it with the windows open, and not noticing much difference, that I just drove normally and found that between about 1000 and 2000 rpm there is a much nicer growl, and a good bit more power. Coming out of a roundabout, it will hold 3rd and accelerate well, whereas before I would have kicked down or lit the afterburners (aka Sport Mode) to get a good getaway in 2nd.

Rich

4.6 HSE Tiggrr 3.5 V8 trialler
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Anyone got any photos of this exhaust installation? If you have please point me to the appropriate website or post to alan(dot)cleggy(at)virgin(dot)net

Regards

AC

Reply to
AC

I can take some if you want - let me know what you want to see (as I always say on the other NG I post to - oops).

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Not taken any myself yet, nor seen any pictures of one fitted, but the Rimmer Brothers site has a photo of the exhaust system as supplied, scroll down the page a little. There's also a picture of the standard system so you can compare them. (Anyone tell me how to make a link clickable when using Google to post?)

Alan C.

Reply to
cutlea01

Hi again,

I've looked at both the RPi and Rimmer Bros sites but they only show low resolution images of unfitted exhaust systems which is fine to give me an idea but I'd like to see images of the items installed. In particular shots from underneath to show that routing isn't problematic and also from the rear of the car to see the tailpipes. I don't want to make the car look like some boy racer Nova but I am going to need a new rear exhaust system in the next 6 months or so.

Regards

AC

Reply to
AC

But there are no pics for a classic.....are we to presume they look the same?

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P