Sereis 1 Identity

Hi,

Is it possible to buy the identity of a series 1 machine of about 1958 vintage? If so has anybody got one for sale?

The reason I ask is - Ive found an old series 1 but no registration documents or engine (i happen to have a spare engine) I cannot find the chasis number (looked at front and rear spring hangers etc).

Would be nice to bring the old girl back on the road.

Thanks

Rog

Reply to
Rog

It's called ringing, and is illegal. Jon

Reply to
Jon

Fair Comment - This idea will go no further!!

Reply to
Rog

Can you not apply for age-related plates somehow?. It can't be totally unheard of for an old car to be documentation-less. The axles, wheels and gearbox all have number on that should give some evidence of age too don't they?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just reading the dvla website now Tom, I can supply engine & gearbox numbers, not seen any axle numbers though - any idea of location?

Will update if any progress made.

Regards

Roger

Reply to
Rog

But if you bought a scrap-worthy series 1, even if it was just a knackered chassis with the documentation, you should still be able to build it back up using basically all the bits that you have on your other documentation lacking series 1 (including your chassis).

As far as buying just a vehicle identity goes - As long as you knew that the rest of the landrover had been scrapped or broken and was no longer using that identity, what would be the difference between buying a knackered series one and totally rebuilding it using mainly new/replacement parts, and buying just the logbook/chassis number and building round that?

Both ways, the number could end up being the only original thing!, why does it matter how you got to that point?

From what i've read, or heard here, of the DVLA regulations for replacing/rebuilding a vehicle, you are allowed to basically replace every single component on the vehicle as long as what you replace it with is as close as possible to the same spec as the original. This doesnt seem to exclude (in theory) buying just a V5 document and building a landrover of the right spec round it.

I'm not saying i'm correct here, but it's one way of looking at it.

I know with my landrover only the wings, 1 axle, the bulkhead and about 60% of the chassis are 'original' (plus a few other bits and bobs), but theres no dispute that its the same vehicle in my eyes (how 'original' is any other landrover?). I could replace those remaining parts with new or other parts and it would still be the same vehicle..

Reply to
Tom Woods

But you can't 're-use' a chassis. You can repair it, or replace it with a new one. Having said that I'm guessing that there are alot of technically ringed Land Rovers out there, after all its so easy to buy a SII, sell all the bits, dump the chassis and place the chassis plate and Reg plates on a

1980 SIII making it road tax and emission test free. Jon
Reply to
Jon

Mine's a 2A. I'll go check next time i go past the old axle casing (still sitting in my parents garden). I'm pretty sure there was a number on it. I think it was round the top edge of where the diff attaches (not on the diff, but right next to the join on the axle side).

I've seen them in the mags find dates on the wheels too. should be a 2 digit year from what ive seen. Sort of right on the edge of the central flattish bit of the wheel. On the outside, not the inside.

You could try contacting the archives bloke at the heritage centre at Gaydon.

- They have all the landroverbuild records and documents there if you dont know). He might tell youthat those numbers are enough to issue you a proof of age certificatewith (costs about £15-£20 i think). Then you can use that to get a v5and an age related plate off the dvla. Good luck!

Reply to
Tom Woods

The axle numbers on my SIII only appeared when I cleaned them (using Lava cand cleaner and a brush). Before that, axle numbers where just a myth to me. I can't remember where they were - I think that they were along the top of the tube. Jon

Reply to
Jon

Can you not replace a chassis with a better example old one? Seems a bit stupid if you can put a new one on, but not a better old one!. It gets a bit vague with these DVLA rules doesnt it!

If you did do it this way. Not trying to be dodgy, but how would someone know unless you told them?. My chassis has had new front legs on, so has no number. Could you tell me if it was the original one or not?.

True, and that would seem slightly dodgier.. The only examples i was thinking of were using a S1 plate to make a S1 landrover though, or using the same spec... The tax-exempt bit just makes ir more complicated doesnt it! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

The identification of a vehicle is really the identification of the chassis / bodyshell, so by fitting a 'better example', it's the identification of the 'better example' that will prevail. Think of it as not swapping the chassis but swapping everything else. If the rule didn't exist, there would be nothing to stop me swapping the reg numbers and vin plates on two different aged (but visually very similar) Jaguars - if that happened, how would you know the age of the vehicle, accident history, theft etc.? So although the rule does look stupid when applied to an ageing Land Rover, it makes perfect sense when applied to just about all other vehicles. Jon Jon

Reply to
Jon

Is the spare engine of the same year? If so, you can obtain documents from Dunsfold (?) as to the manufacture date of the engine. Armed with this data, once the vehicle is rebuilt it is possible to get an identity issued for the vehicle, with a correct age-related plate. The DVLA will then issue you with a chassis number which you must have stamped on the chassis.

Provided you can prove the build date it is possible, and the engine number is the key to this.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The engine is certainly of the right period - have spoken to local dvla, they seem to backup whats been said in these threads, they will issue a non-transferable identity and chassis number after the machine has been rebuilt, they also inform the police of any numbers used during the build. They are sending me an information pack ( i expect a A5 one sided sheet!)

ROg

Reply to
Rog

Try looking at the engine mount on the passenger side (assuming RHD) - Series 1's were usually stamped there.

Good luck with the rebuild and get in contact with the Series 1 club when it comes to registering it - they were most helpful in registering my S1.

Jon

SI 80" 1953

Reply to
Jon hutchings

I believe that in the car restoration world there is more than one vehicle claiming to be a historic racer or whatever because more than one person has built a new car from different parts of the old one.

What has gone has gone, and what is new is new, and everything changes sublty over time.

For some people it is the history and provenance of a vehicle that holds there interest, for others it is the design and characteristics of the vehicle, for those in the latter category I see no reason why a newly minted or registered vehicle would not be just as authentic as one from forty odd years ago.

Give it a new identity by all means, but don't rob it off something else because it aint never going to be that vehicle, it is like taking on the passport of a dead man.

Reply to
Larry