series 1 fuel tank.

a mate of mine has a conked out series one out on a farm which he is considering refurbishing. we went and had a look at it a couple of days ago and got a little concerned about the position of the fuel tank. images of the old ford pinto (the one with the fuel tank at the back that had a habit of exploding when anything tapped it) came flooding into my mind. there is just a single sheet of aluminium between the fuel and a side on collision. has anyone had experience with these tanks and know about the safety? is there the possibility of mounting the tank somehere else?

thanks.

sam.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

In article , samuel mcgregor writes

Until recently the Defender 90 was exactly the same.

Me thinks you worry too much. how many miles do you expect to do in this series one?

There is nothing to stop you putting the tank anywhere you want. you could also fit ABS and an airbag while you are at it ;-)

Reply to
Marc Draper

There's an awful lot of us here driving our S1s quite happily with the original fuel tanks. If you start to get worried about the fuel tank, think first of all the other things that could happen to you in an accident in an S1, safety wasn't an issue in those days. I'd be more worried about the wing nuts at head level that hold the windscreen supports. (86" and 88", I think the 80's different).

Most of us using S1s for trialling put the tank in the back, primarily to stop bashing it on stumps, especially if it's an 80 you're talking about. If you do that for road use, I'd check on the legislation, as it'll probably need a fuel tight cover over it.

Use it and enjoy it, Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

That was because a rear suspension strut would gleefully pierce the fuel tank in even minor rear impacts which sprayed petrol all over the hot exhaust, bits of sparking metal and the engine bay of the vehicle which has just rear-ended the Pinto.

With regards to side impacts - look both ways before pulling out.

Reply to
PDannyD

As demonstrated in the 1984 film "Top Secret" :O)

-- Jon

Reply to

In article , Alex writes

Is there enough room for this? The LWB has a longer tail overhang behind the rear wheels.

I didn't worry about sitting on 10 gallons myself when my military 109 with underseat fillers was on the road, although I did plaster the passenger side of the dash with 'No Smoking' signs (and removed the ash trays the previous owner fitted).

Much more important IMHO is the condition of the tank and the rest of the fuel system.

Reply to
John Halliwell