Series 2a dash panel terminals

Top left of the centre dash panel on Series 2a, there are two small sockets, one with a red surround and one with black surround. I'm assuming that they are a remote 12v supply and earth, but what are they for?

Thanks for any ideas.

Rich

Series 2a RR 4.6 The rest

Reply to
Richard Brookman

They are for melting the wiring loom :-) (They are unfused so be careful). I think the original idea was to either run a spotlight or charge the battery.

Reply to
EMB

The manual I have describes them as "inspection light sockets".

Notoriously, they're unfused and connected direct to the battery. (Possibly at the solenoid?) So be careful.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Tom Woods vaguely muttered something like ...

Heheheh ... but being un-fused, it makes sense to use an in-line fuse of some kind .. ;)

Smokin' ....

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On mine they were used to burn out the loom when one became loose and shorted on the other.

I've not had them refitted with the replacement loom!

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

They were originally described as for an inspection lamp, but can be used for other purposes. However, as the sockets are not polarised they are not really suitable for many applications. Note that the sockets are not fused!

JD

Reply to
JD

The plugs to suit are common or garden Belling-Lee banana plugs

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

Reply to
Richard

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Richard Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote on 14/9/04 10:43:

I use mine (rewired and fuzed) to run a boogy box.

Reply to
Rory Manton

It was a temporary measure! (6 months so far...)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well, thanks to all for the responses. Inspection light it is, then. Could be useful (watch this space...)

By the way, is the supply fused at all, in any way, possibly?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Tom Woods vaguely muttered something like ...

Getting towards the realms of 'quick fix' then .. 'till I find something better .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yep, there's a rather large complicated looking fuse - it's a part unique to Series vehicles and has the same part number as a wiring loom, and seems fully interchangeable for said loom :p

Reply to
EMB

They only suit 3mm bannan plugs, not the usual 4mm ones readily available.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

My MP3 head unit and speakers are self-contained in a box and run off the sockets. Although mine are now fused, since I re-wired the thing.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've been inteding to rewire it since i bought it! I had all the bits ready for the time when i got the urge, but my mate found them, and used most of my wire and my new fuse box doing his landy!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ahh. The old Belling-Lees I have fit 3-4mm sockets

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts