series 3 heater control

How easy is it to replace the control cable for the air direction (car/windscreen) on a series 3? Anyone know if these are still available?

Reply to
mark

On or around Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:23:03 +0100, mark enlightened us thusly:

dunno, but I suspect it may be a dash-out job. If you find out let me know, as mine's broken too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Heh. For a long time I thought it was ok. I just thought that's how they were. :) I got bored today and took the side panel off and discovered that its been snapped for a long time. I can find a the par t that is the levers themselves but not the cable.

Reply to
mark

The cable is basically the same as is used for throttle control cables for lawnmower and a whole lot of other things. you may be able to replace it with something similar if you find one long enough. if the housing is ok (the spiral of wire that the cable runs through) you should just be able to pull the cable, replace it with a similar piece of wire, grease it up and shove it in. i'm probably gonna have a crack at this soon aswell because while mine all work, they are so stiff that you need someone else on the other end to pull the heater tap into position.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

On or around Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:44:57 +1000, "Samuel" enlightened us thusly:

he's talking about the one that redirects the heater output, though. They're both rigid wires, not bowden type cable, though, so that they can push as well as pull. You can probably make it with suitable piano wire, but I expect the cables are available. It's the changing the cable that's the tricky bit, I reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

I think the rigid ones are called Bowden cables too. Mine looks very rusty indeed and it has snapped off at the control end so I suspect a new one is in order. I found these guys on the Internet:

looks as though only the lower dash has to come off.Ill let you know :)

Reply to
mark

On or around Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:00:00 +0100, mark enlightened us thusly:

nah, Bowden cable is specifically a flexible one. used to be a trade name, I think.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mines buggered, the cable is there but there is nought for it to connect it to the lever and that means replacing the whole doodah with the levers on so I do without, heater never does much anyway, blows anyway it will.

Reply to
Larry