series 3 land rover overdrive problems

Hi, my 1980 series 3 diesel has an overdrive unit that engages properly (sometimes takes a few goes) and runs fine. When disengaged, I use the main 4 gears but the overdrive lever keeps skipping out into neutral. It happens at whatever revs I give it and I couldn't climb a hill today. Had to use overdrive in first just to get up it. Overdrive skips out violently now and needs sorting before it is damaged beyond repair. What do i do?

Reply to
camelbanger

Overhaul the overdrive. You might try first making sure the lever is not incorrectly adjusted and not going properly into direct drive (take the cover off to see what is happening)- could also be worn pads on the fork or even loose fork on the selector rod. They are not too difficult to overhaul even if you have not got gearbox experience, although parts can be pretty expensive. Most bearings and seals can be got from a bearing supplier, but you may need a synchro assembly - I think they are the same as a Rover

2000, which probably does not help! JD
Reply to
JD

Reply to